Removing a FARM and adding by Site Collection - SharePoint Management - SharePoint for All - Dell Community

Removing a FARM and adding by Site Collection

Removing a FARM and adding by Site Collection

This question has been answered by DELL-Andrey M

Is it possible/easy to remove all farms from QUEST SITE ADMIN and start again with a fresh canvas but only add by Site Collection ?

I have hit a number of pain in the ass snags by adding by FARM.

1. It adds all MY SITES and treats them as Site Collections.

2. It throws up too many errors on items i don't care to fix as i don't want info from whatever server is throwing an issue.

Verified Answer
  • Adding a farm just means that you point out Site Admin where SharePoint configuration database is located. And Site Admin fetches all available inforamation from where. It is not possible to filter information that SiteAdmin shows. The only way to diminish number of displayed objects is to login as Site Collection administrator or Site Owner(who has Full Control permissions levels on sites). In this case you will see only Site Collections and sites those you have permissions for.

pgilbride wrote:

If you believe that SiteAdmin is wrong treating SharePoint sites as Site Collections lets do webex. Perhaps it's a bug and we will try to investigate it and fix. But actually it's easy to check. You can compare what SharePoint Central Administration(Application Management - > View all site collections menu) shows.

pgilbride wrote:

2. It throws up too many errors on items i don't care to fix as i don't want info from whatever server is throwing an issue.

Again, let's do webex, we can help you. What is your use case? Do you have some sites that you are not interested in and Site Admin shows them with bugs and this disturbs you?

All Replies
  • Adding a farm just means that you point out Site Admin where SharePoint configuration database is located. And Site Admin fetches all available inforamation from where. It is not possible to filter information that SiteAdmin shows. The only way to diminish number of displayed objects is to login as Site Collection administrator or Site Owner(who has Full Control permissions levels on sites). In this case you will see only Site Collections and sites those you have permissions for.

pgilbride wrote:

If you believe that SiteAdmin is wrong treating SharePoint sites as Site Collections lets do webex. Perhaps it's a bug and we will try to investigate it and fix. But actually it's easy to check. You can compare what SharePoint Central Administration(Application Management - > View all site collections menu) shows.

pgilbride wrote:

Again, let's do webex, we can help you. What is your use case? Do you have some sites that you are not interested in and Site Admin shows them with bugs and this disturbs you?

• Hi Andrey,

Yes, a Webex would be great. I am free tomorrow morning from 9.30am GMT if you are free ?

Paul.

• Hi Paul!

Yes, I think it is feasible. Still do not have exact scheduling for tomorrow but any way let's contact

• Hi Paul! I have very tough scheduling today. And tomorrow we will have a holiday. How about Monday 9.30AM GMT?

• I have Training on Monday. How about next Wednesday @10am or we can decide closer to the date?

• No problems, March 13 10AM GMT is OK. Paul could you please request our support, create a case for your issues. They will facilitate organizing the webex.

• MySite is a site collection from technical perspective - so it is expected behavior to see them in reports.

There is possibility to filter web application from reports. If you have dedicated web app for My Sites - it helps you.

To do that you need to manually edit PcServerInstances table - remove Web Apps you don't need to see in reports or follow this article.