Lots of Obvious Spam Getting Through - Email Security - Network, Secure Remote Access and Email - Dell Community

Lots of Obvious Spam Getting Through

Your Dell Security Community

Lots of Obvious Spam Getting Through

This question has suggested answer(s)

Does anyone else have the issue of lots of obvious spam getting through the filter to the users mailbox?  COPD, Mesothelioma, Plumbing Services, Driveway Repair.  Those are just a few.  We have 10-15 users that get between 4 and 10 per day in their inbox (and they forward all of them to me).

Tech support has suggested that I look for ip addresses from the spam emails and enter them into a blocking filter.  Isn't that what I am paying SonicWALL for?

They have also told me that since all of these emails have an "Unsubscribe" at the bottom that they are coming through the filter because we subscribe to them.

We have only been live for a few months with the ES3300 but we are seriously thinking about looking at other products.

Is anyone else experiencing the same behavior?

Thanks,

Bill Short, Newtown PA

All Replies
  • Hi Bill,

Do you have an open case on this?

There are so many different reasons that spam could be allowed in.

We see many times that users will place an online order or give their email address not realizing that there is an opt out check box that if not checked allows that company to use with there affiliates or even sell their email address.

David Wilbur

Sonicwall SME  Email Security

Security Engineering Escalation Group

Dell | Sonic WALL, U.S.A.

• Good morning and thanks for getting back to me.

I have opened multiple calls on this issue.  I guess I am not on the same page with how this works.  All of our company email addresses are out there to be spammed.  We have about 100 employees and we get over 5,000 spam mails per day.  It shouldn't matter how they are getting our address, we purchased the SonicWall to stop the spams no matter how they got our address.  The tech's latest advice was to Unsubscribe to all of the spams that have an Unsubscribe link.  That is about the worst advice I have ever heard.

Isn't a spam a spam?  And these emails are obvious spams.

Thanks,

Bill

• Bill,

I looked and do not see any recent cases on this subject.

Can you open a new case and attach some samples to the case?

Let me know the case number and I will get a more experienced tech to review and assist you.

Thanks

David Wilbur

• Hi David,

Case #03528184 "Issues with device not blocking spam" is the case that I opened a few weeks ago.  When I attempt to attach samples I get an error "Insufficient Acces Rights...".  I have tried it on several PC's with the same result.  I have asked the tech on my case to assist me but he has not responded.  I have also asked for the case to be escalated with no response.  Should I open a new case or can you use this one?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

• Bill,

I have sent your case over to the Tech Lead.

They will ensure follow up on the case.

Thanks

David Wilbur