Active Session on data base - Foglight for Databases - Foglight for Databases - Dell Community

Active Session on data base

Active Session on data base

This question is answered

Hi to all

again I have a question, this time about rules and alarms.

I found rule about Total Session Limit..this rule shows percentage of connection on the database.

My question is..where is if any the rule for number or percentage of Active Session, because Active and Total Session are not the same thing. I use Oracle Cartridge 5.7.5.2

Maybe someone know how to build rule for number of Active Session, because this number is visibly on Dashboard.

Thanks

Nikola

Verified Answer
  • Hi Nicola,

You can definitely implement such a custom rule because the relevant data is already available in the Foglight topology.

You can create a custom rule using the session summary topology:

The relevant metrics located under the topology path  /clusters/[instance X]/sessions_summary_data/

• active_sessions
    • active_sessions_pct

If you don't know how to create a custom rule please approach your Foglight account manager directly and he will direct you to the relevant PSO who can create this for you.

• Hi

I made a rule and it works perfect.

Thank you for your help, it was useful.

Now I can make any custom rule.

Regards

Nikola

All Replies
  • Hi Nicola,

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this requirement.

The "Total Session Limit" alarm fires when the number of sessions (foreground + background) currently connected to the database is about to exceed the limit (which is defined in the parameter file). Upon reaching the number of currently connected sessions, the database will refuse new connections, which can result in an application failure. This alarm must take into account the background sessions because the limit defined in the parameter file is relevant for all the sessions (foreground + background) and not only for the active session.

• Hi Pini_Dibask,

that is correct what you wrote here..And my question is, is it possible to create a rule ( alarm ) only for ACTIVE sessions, because the  ACTIVE sessions are important for DB.

So, I dont need all ( total ) sessions, but only those who are in ACTIVE state.

Regards

nikola

• Do you want to create a new alarm that fires whenever the ACTIVE sessions are higher than a predefined threshold? For example when the number of ACTIVE sessions is higher than 100? What are the thresholds of the alarm? In which severity would you like to create the alarm? Please elaborate on the requirement.

• Ok, I can see that you are trying to help, so..

The Total Sessions are no danger for DB, when they became in ACTIVE state, then we need to know about that and in ACTICVE state they consume resources.

Because of that, yes, I would like to have alarm for number or percentage of ACTIVE session on my db instances.

The threshold will be defined by our needs.

Is this ok?

Regards

Nikola

• OK so just to summarize and to make sure we are on the same page here:

You want an alarm that is being triggered every time that the percentage of ACTIVE sessions out of the total number of sessions (ACTIVE + INACTIVE) exceeds a threshold.

For example, if you have 400 ACTIVE sessions and the total amount of sessions (ACTIVE + INACTIVE) is 450 then the percentage of ACTIVE sessions out of the total number of sessions is 100 * (400/450) = 89%

If for example your threshold is 85% then the alarm will be fired and if for example the threshold was 90% then the alarm won't fired. 

Please confirm that I have understood the requirement properly.

• Yes..you are right, I want exactly what you are talking about.

Do you know something about how to create something like this?

Regards

nikola

• Hi  

do you have any idea about my question?

Thanks

nikola

• Hi Nicola,

You can definitely implement such a custom rule because the relevant data is already available in the Foglight topology.

You can create a custom rule using the session summary topology:

The relevant metrics located under the topology path  /clusters/[instance X]/sessions_summary_data/

• active_sessions
    • active_sessions_pct

If you don't know how to create a custom rule please approach your Foglight account manager directly and he will direct you to the relevant PSO who can create this for you.

• Hi

I understand you..could you provide the full path from this picture above?

I think it should be : Configuration/Data/Databases/Instances/Session_Summary_data

there I can see this:

I think I have right?

Regards

nikola

• Hi

I made a rule and it works perfect.

Thank you for your help, it was useful.

Now I can make any custom rule.

Regards

Nikola