How to remove an instance from monitoring? - Foglight for Databases - Foglight for Databases - Dell Community

How to remove an instance from monitoring?

How to remove an instance from monitoring?

This question is answered

I have the Foglight for SQL Server cartridge, and can add instances to be monitored. However, I can't find a way to remove them. Even the documentation doesn't say anything about this. Anyone know how?

Verified Answer
  • Thank you! That seems to have done it! I didn't realize that database monitoring could be controlled outside of the "Databases" menu. "Administration" at the Foglight level doesn't seem to be the most intuitive place, but I was able to delete instances I no longer needed to monitor.

In my version of Foglight, it was under "Administration -> Agents -> Status"

[UPDATE]

Now when I look at my Databases dashboard, the 2 instances I deleted are indeed gone, but 2 other instances seemed to have stopped working, and the alerts menu (as the error suggests) does not havbe anything helpful. Any ideas what happened here? Notice that the 2 agents on the bottom don't even know the SQL Server version or any other information. These were working perfectly before I deleted 2 other instances.

Foglight error.png

Also, when clicking "Agent Settings" on either of those two instance, I get the following error:

Foglight Agent settings.png

[UPDATE]

Restarting the Foglight Server seems to have fixed the problem. The agents now display correctly for all monitored servers.

All Replies
  • Anyone?

• Are you asking about the instances that were discovered (as part of the create agent wizard) or are you asking about deleting DB instances that you had agents for?

Those instances that appear in the table when you do discover/add, they are not removable but it not a big issue because when you don't check the box next to their name when you click the "monitor" button, they will just not be monitored (and will not appear there next time you run the wizard unless you do discovery again).

If you are asking about deleting Database instances that you monitor:

You can deactivate (and later delete) the agent from the Administration > Agent status dashboard.

If you want to clear data or remove the model you probably want to deactivate the agent and then clear the data and the model from the technical support dashboard  ( you can later delete the agent from Administration > agent status )

image001.png

Thanks to Tim Fritz and Darren Mallette for the info.

Golan

• Thank you! That seems to have done it! I didn't realize that database monitoring could be controlled outside of the "Databases" menu. "Administration" at the Foglight level doesn't seem to be the most intuitive place, but I was able to delete instances I no longer needed to monitor.

In my version of Foglight, it was under "Administration -> Agents -> Status"

[UPDATE]

Now when I look at my Databases dashboard, the 2 instances I deleted are indeed gone, but 2 other instances seemed to have stopped working, and the alerts menu (as the error suggests) does not havbe anything helpful. Any ideas what happened here? Notice that the 2 agents on the bottom don't even know the SQL Server version or any other information. These were working perfectly before I deleted 2 other instances.

Foglight error.png

Also, when clicking "Agent Settings" on either of those two instance, I get the following error:

Foglight Agent settings.png

[UPDATE]

Restarting the Foglight Server seems to have fixed the problem. The agents now display correctly for all monitored servers.

• Hmm... not sure why that would be the case.  You may want to try restarting the Foglight Management Server service and see if everything comes back up.  If you don't wish to restart the service and/or if you restart the service and it still does not appear to be working, you may want to open a support case at support.quest.com so that the issue can be properly diagnosed.

BTW, for anyone else reading this thread, the next (soon to be released) version of the SQL Server Cartridge makes the Agent deletion/cleanup process much easier as you can see in the screenshot below:

RemoveFromMonitoring.PNG

• Restarting did the trick. Thank you!

Any ETA on the new version? That does make much more sense to have the "Remove from Monitoring" button there as well.