(Posted for Kent Baxley of Canonical. Disclaimer: This is not currently supported by either Dell or Canonical and is offered for informational purposes only.)

Here's a run-down of what I did to get my PowerEdge system to show up properly under OpenManage Essentials.

Problem:

A user installs OpenManage Essentials to monitor hardware failures on PowerEdge Servers running Ubuntu Server 12.04, but some issues are encountered when trying to discover the machines from the OpenManage Essentials interface. OMSA works fine on the servers running Ubuntu, but when trying to discover the server via OpenManage Essentials (from IP address and snmp), OpenManage Essentials finds the hostname and all network cards but the servers are in an 'unknown' status.

Simple Solution:

I was experiencing the same problem and found that the following steps worked for me. This was done on a PowerEdge T410 running Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 and OpenManage 7.1:

1) On the systems running Ubuntu 12.04 Server, make sure the following snmp package versions are installed. (Later versions of these packages may still work but are not tested.)

Package: Version:
snmp   5.4.3~dfsg-2.4ubuntu1.1
snmpd   5.4.3~dfsg-2.4.ubuntu1.1
snmp-mibs-downloader   1.1
libsnmp-base   5.4.3~dfsg-2.4ubuntu1.1
libsnmp15   5.4.3~dfsg-2.4.ubuntu1.1

2) copy /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf to /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf.orig

3) In your preferred text editor, create a new /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file with the following information:

rocommunity public
syslocation "Your Location"
syscontact you@youremail.address
view all included .1
access notConfigGroup "" any noauth exact all none none
smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1
trapsink OMEIP public

Replace OMEIP above with the IP address of the OpenManage Essentials system.

4) In /etc/default/snmpd, change the SNMPDOPTS line to look like this:

SNMPDOPTS='-Lsd -Lf /dev/null -u snmp -g snmp -p /var/run/snmpd.pid -c /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf'

5) Restart the snmpd daemon using 'sudo service snmpd restart'.

6) On the OpenManage Essentials machine, delete the devices for the Ubuntu systems showing up as 'unknown' and kick off another discovery for those machines. This time the systems should show up properly with all of the expected information.