If you're encountering build issues with your custom Operating System Deployment, review the issues reported below. If you've found additional issues, add a new thread at the bottom of this page.

Windows 7

Q. Why did my deployment of Windows 7 fails with the error message, "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." OR I have components that didn't install drivers that are in my driver package?

example error in setuperr.log (from %windir%\Panther) shows the following failure information:

2013-08-29 13:09:40, Error                 CBS    Startup: Failed to process advanced operation queue, startupPhase: 0.  Primitives are still pending. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]

2013-08-29 13:09:40, Error                 CBS    Startup: POQ has not been processed yet, aborting startup processing.  Startup processing will be attempted again. [HRESULT = 0x80004004 - E_ABORT]

2013-08-29 13:09:40, Error      [0x030149] CMI    Callback_CBS_Do_OnlineInstall:Calling startup processing failed 0x80004004

2013-08-29 13:09:40, Error      [0x030153] CMI    Callback_CMI_ConfigInstall: CBS startup processing re-run failed.

A: You need the updated Kernel Mode Driver Framework (KMDF) 1.11 included in your base image

Reasons for failure:

-          Windows 7 Operating system comes with KMDF 1.9 (Kernel Mode driver framework) as part of image. Any driver release which is built with newer version of KMDF requires reboot of system during the installation, this reboot is unexpected during OS Setup.

-          If the Win7 image used contains any security update or patch affecting the KMDF components is used along with driver (which is built on newer version of KMDF) then deployment would fail. Example: KB2808735

Resolution:

Download and inject package (2685811) as part of the image preemptively. So that same image can be used for OSD. This will avoid the unexpected reboot during OSD.

Scope/Affected Drivers:

This issue is applicable to Window 7 OS:

1. 1.       If the Win7 cab includes any driver consisting of wdfcoinstaller01011.dll (initiates KMDF upgrade to 1.11).
  2. 2.        If the image does not include any security updates or patches affecting KMDF components (example KB2808735) then OS deployment might not fail, but it will prompt for reboot when User logins for first time.

*List of devices  Affected:

(i) ST Microelectronics Free Fall Data Protection    (ii) Intel Smart Connect Technology

(iii) Intel Management Engine Interface    (iv) Dell Touchpad

(v) Intel Dual Band Wireless AC7260 Bluetooth

Windows Vista

Q: Deployment of Windows Vista fails with the error message, "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." or you see issues with the installation of the TouchPad Driver.
A: This is a known issue. Workarounds are available from the Microsoft KB article 294168 Additional information is here.

Q: I receive an error in Vista that the driver "Microsft 6to4 Adapter", or the "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter" is not installed. Or Device Manager shows a "Bang" or "Ding" for a 6to4 Adapter.

A:This is a known issue you can safely ignore. See Microsoft KB 932520 for more information.

Q: Error message when a computer that is running Windows Vista SP1 resumes from hibernation: "System was shutdown unexpectedly"
A:This is a known issue with Windows Vista SP1 - See Microsoft KB 951218 for more information. A simple work-around is to add a task sequence step that runs once the Operating System is functional, during the "Setup Operating System" or "Install Software" phase of the task sequence. Create a step to run the following command line: bcdedit.exe /create {resumeloadersettings} /d "Resume Loader Settings"

Windows XP

Q: I'm seeing issues with the Free Fall Sensor driver after deployment?

A: The Free Fall Sensor driver included with the current driver CABs (R309372) works with deployments that are based on the image included in the Microsoft Media.  If you use a captured image, then you will want to use R294986 from a previous CAB.  We are working with the component vendor to get a driver that works in both scenarios.

Q: I receive a Found New Hardware dialog when I log into XP, even after I properly used the Apply Driver Package Task Sequence.
A: If you are installing XP SP2 or older and see one "Ding" or "Bang" in Device Manager for a "PCI Device", there's a good chance that it's an Audio Driver. Install Microsoft KB888111 and restart the computer. Add this hotfix to your base reference build so that you no longer need to run a post-installation. This problem (and many other potential issues) can also be resolved by using the Dell System Software installation.

General Issues

Q: I receive the following errors when importing OptiPlex 960 drivers:
Error: Failed to import the following drivers:
\\[server]\Source$\Drivers\OptiPlex-960-XP-A00\XP\x64\chipset\R197547\IntelAMTPP.inf - The selected file is not a valid Windows device driver.
\\[server]\Source$\Drivers\OptiPlex-960-XP-A00\XP\x64\network\R162314\oemsetup.inf - The selected file is not a valid Windows device driver.
\\[server]\Source$\Drivers\OptiPlex-960-XP-A00\XP\x86\chipset\R197547\IntelAMTPP.inf - The selected file is not a valid Windows device driver.
\\[server]\Source$\Drivers\OptiPlex-960-XP-A00\XP\x86\network\R162313\oemsetup.inf - The selected file is not a valid Windows device driver.

Error: Failed to import the following drivers:
\\[server]\Source$\Drivers\OptiPlex-960-Vista-A00\Vista\x64\Chipset\R197547\IntelAMTPP.inf - The selected file is not a valid Windows device driver.
\\[server]\Source$\Drivers\OptiPlex-960-Vista-A00\Vista\x86\chipset\R197547\IntelAMTPP.inf - The selected file is not a valid Windows device driver.

A: We’ve identified an issue with the drivers you mentioned below. Two parts to the problem:
1-Configmgr attempts to import everything with an .inf extension
2-The Intel drivers mentioned have named some files with an .inf extension, but they’re not a traditional ‘device driver installer’ .inf file – they’re more like an .ini file.

If you look in the DriverCatalog.log driver, you can see the error “This driver does not have a valid version signature.” – because the .inf file doesn’t contain expected information.

If you look at 960-XP-A00-R224242\960\XP\x64\chipset\R197547 for example. . you’ll see that two .infs imported correctly (mesrle.inf and mersl.inf) . . . which are all you need for this driver.

We’re working with Intel to correct the issue, but for now, you should be able to ignore those errors. The actual driver should have imported properly – let us know if you experience otherwise.