Skip to main content
  • Place orders quickly and easily
  • View orders and track your shipping status
  • Enjoy members-only rewards and discounts
  • Create and access a list of your products
  • Manage your Dell EMC sites, products, and product-level contacts using Company Administration.

Ubuntu Server

Summary: Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

This article may have been automatically translated. If you have any feedback regarding its quality, please let us know using the form at the bottom of this page.

Article Content

Symptoms

Whitepapers and blogs

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Ubuntu 13.10 and earlier

Dell and Canonical 

Dell and Canonical have reached an agreement to collaboratively support our mutual and future customers by bringing the best of breed support for both the hardware and OS.  We have both seen the increasing demand for our solutions to be integrated, and we are happy to be able to work with each other to ensure compatibility and functionality with Dell PowerEdge servers running Ubuntu Server.

Dell PowerEdge and Canonical Ubuntu Server FAQ

Updated March 11, 2013

What is being announced?

• Dell and Canonical have reached a collaborative agreement that will enable Ubuntu Server on Dell PowerEdge 11th and 12th generation servers.
  • Dell will provide all the necessary hardware support based on standard support SLA agreements for customers running Ubuntu Server on Dell.
  • As part of Dell’s agreement with Canonical, Dell will "warm" transfer OS-related issues to Canonical through a formal process established between our two organizations.  Customers must have an Ubuntu Advantage support agreement with Canonical to receive OS support.

What comes with Ubuntu Advantage (UA) support?

• Beyond professional technical support for Dell certified systems, Canonical's Ubuntu Advantage also gives enterprise customers the option to have custom package repositories, access to the support knowledge base, Landscape management, compliance reporting, and legal assurance.

Where can I find the link to the Dell OS support matrix?

• Information will be posted and updated regularly on Dell’s OS support matrix found here.  Please see specific link towards the bottom of the page.

Where can I find the link to the Canonical OS support matrix?

• Also part of our agreement, Canonical will have access to our Dell labs, engineers and other resources to ensure compatibility between our technologies.  Canonical will post the certification results to the Ubuntu and Dell page found here.  Please scroll to server link within this page for Dell-specific systems or you may click here.

What do I do if I’m a ProSupport customer running Ubuntu Server and have an issue?

• For service tags which are entitled to BOTH ProSupport and UA, the customer may call Dell and utilize our collaborative support relationship with Canonical using the standard Dell support contact information.

Where can I find more information?

• Information will be posted regularly to the Dell Techcenter page found here.

What type of systems management option do I have, particularly Dell’s OpenManage offering?

• Dell PowerEdge 12th generation (12G) and future servers have agent free Out-of-Band management which allows administrators to discover, inventory, configure, update firmware and receive hardware health alerts, all without requiring the installation of a systems management agent.
  • The Dell Linux engineering team does build and maintain OpenManage packages for Ubuntu.  Please click here for the .DEB repository.

Where can I find more information about the Dell and Canonical relationship, including questions about Ubuntu Advantage, inquiries not covered in the FAQ and how to purchase this solution?

Article Properties

Last Published Date

21 Feb 2021

Version

Article Type

Solution