I'm looking forward in having Dell Precision 5520 laptop, but would like to know the community members experience on running this is Ubuntu/Linux. My concern is about hardware compatibility.
1) Giving a quick search about this, it seems like the pre installed Ubuntu OS v16.04 is a customised one when compared with the official Ubuntu OS v16.04? Does it comes up with any non-free software implemented by Dell? Or is this a generic OS that works out of the box with only a kernel update?
2) Is the hardware in the laptop compatible if I install latest version of Ubuntu? Which is Ubuntu version 17.04 at the moment.
3) Have you tried running other Debian based Linux Distribution in it, does it work for you?
I too would like to know about this issue, specifically about running Ubuntu 17 on the precision 5520.
I've just cracked open my new Dell 5520 laptop. But the Ubuntu upgrade breaks with broken packages. After that I'm not able to open a terminal. So not sure what to do.
This is part of an answer I gave nkr010 over PM:
-The Dell OEM Ubuntu does included changes in order to make Ubuntu operate better with select Dell systems
-I've installed the OEM image a couple times and haven't noticed any non free applications installed
-Dell doesn't officially support 17.04 or Debian base GNU/Linux distributions so I can't promise they work. However, I have some colleagues here that have been trying a couple flavors and so far so good.
What command was run to upgrade and what was the exact error after?
This is my recommendation to solve:
1. Back up any data you have so far
2. Use the recovery process here to restore to OEM 16.04LTS original factory image
3. Run apt update to see if the issue still happens after the fresh image
4. If updates fail on fresh image of OEM 16.04LTS, I will try and replicate the issue here
Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik
Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO
"-The Dell OEM Ubuntu does included changes in order to make Ubuntu operate better with select Dell systems"
Is there any documentation describing which changes exactly were made to the Ubuntu OS?
I posted the answer over here: en.community.dell.com/.../20006924