Dell DA200 - Dell XPS 13 developer edition / Project Sputnik Feedback - OS and Applications - Dell Community

Dell DA200

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

Dell DA200

This question is not answered

Hi all,

just so you know, I have given up on Dell's DA200....I don't see it working any time soon, although I have forwarded them patches and resolved bug reports from the Linux community. It's just pathetic and ignorant that Dell refuses to integrate this, so that their customers could actually benefit from it.

I received this message from one of the Dell employees more than a month ago
"Regarding DA200. Our scope of support for Ubuntu doesn't include DA200. However, I do know that high level Dell people are talking about it and there may be more support for that in the future. No ETA at this time."

Therefore I decided to move on and regret having wasted 70 euros on a worthless piece of garbage. It's beyond me how Dell refuses to support one of their very own products.... especially considering that this Laptop (Dell XPS 13) doesn't leave much room for other choices, since there is no native HDMI, Displayport, or Ethernet port... thus people are relying on *working* adapters, unfortunately not everything is wireless yet.

Anyway, I will think twice before I will buy another Dell product..... just so you know, I will continue to post this "rant" on my blog and as an Amazon review to save others from making the same mistake.....

maybe this will make Dell wake up.....

All Replies
  • I have the 2014 XPS 13 (model 9333) and can connect to 2+ external displays (regular HD) using the Dell D3100 external dock.  You may wish to review my posts from Oct 2015 in case something there can be of help. I had to upgrade to Ubuntu 15.10 (now on 16.04) & install the newest drivers for the D3100 video chip, but after that everything worked quite well.

Alan

• Along the lines of what Cloojure mentioned, sometimes updates can help.

I was on 16.04 LTS, and enabling the HWE or HWE-Edge stacks helped with hardware issues since the HWE uses the 4.8 kernel and HWE-Edge uses the 4.10 vs the 4.4 kernel with default 16.04 LTS:

wiki.ubuntu.com/.../LTSEnablementStack

As per that wiki, run the following for HWE and the 4.8 kernel:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04

or for HWE-Edge and the 4.10 kernel:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04-edge xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04

Note:  The xserver-xorg package does not have an HWE-Edge equivalent.

• I'm currently on 17.04 with the 4.10 kernel.  I will not say the DA200 works perfectly.  I've seen weird things especially with the display ports and some external monitors, but it generally works without issue at this point for my setup.

• I also have a DA200 and I connect it to my xps13 9350 running Ubuntu. For some time everything was working except HDMI port. Recently I noticed that the problem of HDMI is related to the output resolution. For some reason the default resolution of HDMI output was something which couldn't be handled by the port. I tried different resolutions to find the optimum one and I can confirm that now everything (USB3, LAN, VGA and HDMI) with kernel 4.11 works smoothly.

• The output resolution is indeed limited on the DA200; you cannot connect a 4K monitor via HDMI for example with this adapter.

"Regular" HDMI was working for me, but ceased to work a while back. I am now on kernel 4.10.13 and I cannot output anything to HDMI anymore. Therefore, I was impacted by a regression of some sort, but what and when...

• Hi guys,

there is a bug in the i915 module which have been fixed but unfortunately the fix has not been included in the kernel 4.8.

Here is a procedure to fix the issue for HDMI display:

sudo -i

apt-get install linux-source-4.8.0

cd /usr/src

tar -jxf linux-source-4.8.0.tar.bz2

cp -R ./linux-source-4.8.0/ubuntu/i915 ./i915-usbc

cd i915-usbc

cat << EOF > dkms.conf

PACKAGE_NAME="i915"

PACKAGE_VERSION="usbc"

AUTOINSTALL=yes

REMAKE_INITRD=yes

DEST_MODULE_LOCATION="/updates"

BUILD_EXCLUSIVE_KERNEL="^4.8.*"

EOF

sed -i 's#../../../platform/x86/intel_ips.h#../../linux-source-4.8.0/drivers/platform/x86/intel_ips.h#g' intel_pm.c

wget patchwork.freedesktop.org/.../ -O /tmp/drm-i915.patch

patch -p5 < /tmp/drm-i915.patch

dkms add -m i915 -v usbc

dkms build -m i915 -v usbc

dkms install -m i915 -v usbc

reboot

It creates a module for usbc and build it from the source patched.

Unfortunately, if you upgrade your kernel, you will have to do it again.

Enjoy!

Olivier.