WD15 Dock with Kernel 4.10 - Dell XPS 13 developer edition / Project Sputnik Feedback - OS and Applications - Dell Community

WD15 Dock with Kernel 4.10

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

WD15 Dock with Kernel 4.10

This question has been answered by w00pw00p

I used to run a WD15 docking station with kernel 4.9.8 _quite_ stable (except for LAN).

After updating to kernel 4.10 (which came with Ubuntu 17.04), the WD15 behaves not so nice anymore.
In particular, USB connections are gone. Reverting to 4.9.8 helped, though.

Has anybody had similar experiences with WD15 and kernel 4.10 ?

Regards, Peter

Verified Answer
  • Im currently running the WD15 dock quite stable with kernel 4.10.9. Be sure to upgrade your laptop bios and dock firmware to the latest version. (1.0.0.8 in my case and 1.2.21 for my Dell XPS 15 BIOS)

All Replies
  • Im currently running the WD15 dock quite stable with kernel 4.10.9. Be sure to upgrade your laptop bios and dock firmware to the latest version. (1.0.0.8 in my case and 1.2.21 for my Dell XPS 15 BIOS)

• Thanks!!  looks good (so far...)

• Hello,

Can you describe the process to upgrade BIOS and dock firmware ?

I'm unable to find the dock firmware.

I only have a ubuntu.

• Same here!

Can you describe the process to upgrade BIOS and dock firmware ?

I'm unable to find the dock firmware.

I only have a Fedora

Thx !

Ubuntu 16.04 - Gnome 3.18 - Kernel Linux version 4.4.0-59-generic - XPS 13 9360 - BIOS version: 1.2.3

• Hi,

You cant upgrade the WD15 dock firmware + BIOS from LInux (Although, the BIOS you can but that requires specific knowledge).

Grab a portable USB drive / disk, install Windows on it through this howto: lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-portable-version-of-windows-from-a-usb-dri-1565509124

and boot windows on the system with the WD15 dock connected and upgrade the firmware like you normally would