XPS 13 9350 screen hinge is loose - Dell XPS 13 developer edition / Project Sputnik Feedback - OS and Applications - Dell Community

XPS 13 9350 screen hinge is loose

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

XPS 13 9350 screen hinge is loose

This question has been answered by vns35

Hi

the screen hinge of my XPS 13 9350 (DE) i7 QHD+ (with touchscreen) is somewhat loose,

I wonder if others experience the same problem.

It's not that it will fall down, but there is a play of about 2cm: suppose you start wide open (or almost), try to lift up the screen by 2 cm, when you release it it will fall back to its original position.

I think I want to open a case at Dell but first I'd like to know if Dell people on this forum have an opinion and if others have the same issue. Since I have also the "old" 2013 XPS 13, I can compare: the old one, even after 4 years of intensive use, feels much more solid: the screen stays firm whatever the position. I know that the new touchscreen is heavier, but this is not an excuse, right?

Verified Answer
  • hi @Barton,

I'm just inquiring whether you have some news concerning this. Should I send you a "friend request"?

I have just compared with an old XPS 2012 and an "old" macbook air, both have a much better behaviour in this respect: no play, the screen stays in the given position.

All Replies
  • Yes, I have the same issue as you although mine is the non-touch version.

As the hinge was loose, I had the whole screen replaced under warranty just before 12 months use. Technical replaced the whole screen instead of fixing the hinge and only takes 15 minutes.

Again after a few months the replaced screen/hinge is becoming loose again. May only be 5mm "play" at the moment but I expect it will become worse over time. It's really annoying as I mostly use it on my lap.

• Don't know if the policy for Linux systems is different from the Windows side, but Dell has a post in regard to hinge issues here -> en.community.dell.com/.../19995568

• > Dell has a post in regard to hinge issues here

Fortunately Australian consumer laws do not put up with nonsense that it is "normal wear and tear" after such a short period of time.

• I finally called Dell support (France) but sadly the answer is "the hinge is not covered by warranty"...

I should have called right after I received the laptop since the issue was already there...:( :(

For some reason they are not picky about changing the motherboard, but the hinges, no, this is too much for them...

• vns35, let me check with our European team regarding this

thanks

Barton George

• @Barton George, this would be great, thanks.

• If the hinge has some play but still feels firm to open and close, it is likely just the screws holding the hinge that are a bit loose. Mine actually had this issue from the beginning or developed it early. Instead of battling with a warranty case, I just gave the four screws a bit of Loctite and tightened them. The service instructions are very detailed and the four screws are clearly shown at page 59 in this manual: topics-cdn.dell.com/.../xps-13-9350-laptop_Service Manual_en-us.pdf

@Dell: Quality is also getting the small things right and standing up for your mistakes...

• @Tomvest, thanks for the hint. In fact since I had a Dell tech change my motherboard and heat sink (because my CPU temp was too high) I asked him to check the hinges, and he said the screws were tight. So this means that the hinges themselves are faulty, I suppose. He said he could not do anything else at this point without being ordered by Dell, because it would mean opening the display and it's quite delicate to do (if I understood correctly)

• hi @Barton,

I'm just inquiring whether you have some news concerning this. Should I send you a "friend request"?

I have just compared with an old XPS 2012 and an "old" macbook air, both have a much better behaviour in this respect: no play, the screen stays in the given position.

• @Rboerner,

Thank you for sharing the hinge documentation. The policy is the same for Project Sputnik systems.

@Vns35,

Barton brought me your question. Do send me a friend request with your service tag. We'll take a 2nd look at your case.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

• @vns35, you're in good hands with Justin :)

Barton George