Small touchpad and touchscreen issues on the XPS 13 9360 DE - Dell XPS 13 developer edition / Project Sputnik Feedback - OS and Applications - Dell Community

Small touchpad and touchscreen issues on the XPS 13 9360 DE

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

Small touchpad and touchscreen issues on the XPS 13 9360 DE

• On the whole, I'm really quite happy with the machine. I've got two small issues right now. The touchpad does occasionally lose touch sensitivity (hard-pressing the buttons still works, but movement and tap both do nothing). I haven't had time to look further into this yet and have had to restart to get my pointer back, which is a little annoying.

As reported for the previous model (e.g. http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/t/19982360), the touchscreen still stops working on a lid-close suspend event, and the same workaround as discussed in the linked thread reenables it (closing the lid and quickly reopening to then use the power button to resume). I'm not using the touchscreen a lot and there is a workaround, so it's not as much of a problem as the touchpad, but it's certainly not ideal.

• The touchpad issue is quite frustrating, I lose tap-to-click to click after suspend, and the touchpad also seems to intermittently get stuck in scroll mode after a physical click or a scroll, requiring another physical click to stop the behaviour. The only way to restore normal functionality is to restart X.

Are folks from Dell able to replicate this issue?

• I dont have the touchpad issue but the touchscreen one (look at my thread).

• Same model (Kaby Lake, i7, QHD, 16GB, 512GB SSD) and I also have the touchpad issue; the touchpad is basically unusable. Any advice from Dell on fixing this?

• @Community,

Did the issues start after any updates or upgrades? Or are you all having these issues out of the box without any updates?

I have a 9360 DEV coming into our lab in a couple weeks. I'll try and replicate the issues and get back. Can't give you an exact ETA right now but I'll get back when I can.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

• For the touchscreen issue, I made a post here:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/p/19995323/20949279#20949279

Please check it out and let me know of any feedback.

Justin C

• Hi Justin, the touchpad issues were out-of-the-box, and after updates. It actually seems to be Unity-specific... I've installed the Kubuntu desktop in parallel and the touchpad seems to be fine using Plasma.

• Hi Justin,

I am curious if there has been any developments regarding this issue?

I also have a Dell XPS 9360 DE that I received at the beginning of December 2016 and am having the same issues with the touchpad. I can't consistently reproduce the problem but the touchpad will stop responding to movement once every few hours. If I right-click and drag the mouse will move but it will not respond to normal dragging input. When the laptop gets into this state running xinput list shows that there is only the DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad. In order to get the touchpad to start working I have to close the laptop lid for ~10 seconds then log back in. After that the touchpad will be fine. I've encountered this issue before and after updating Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I really enjoy the Dell XPS 13 but this touchpad issue is quite frustrating

Dell XPS 13 9369, 7500U i7, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM

Josh

• Bump

• concerning the touchpad (on a XPS 13 9530) first I had no problem (unity or KDE), but when trying kernel 4.9.0 (because of repeated intel [i915_bpo] error messages), I started having the same issue: tapping with touchpad is randomly disabled. I sometimes comes back after closing/opening the lid, sometimes after plugin/unplugin a usb mouse.

Going back to kernel 4.4.0 seems to solve this particular issue.

• Hi VNS35,

Thanks for chimming in and providing more info about the problem. The kernel I am currently running is 4.4.0. Here is the full information:

Linux josh-XPS-13-9360 4.4.0-57-generic #78-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 9 23:50:32 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The issue I am experiencing, which is the touchpad doesn't move the mouse as i drag and left-click no longer works, seems to be slightly different from what you mentioned. Its as if the touchpad enters a weird gesture state and starts acting erratically (it launches the Unity tab switcher and starts cycling through applications). Closing the lid and logging back in fixes the issue.

Also I blacklisted the ps2 mouse driver as described in the following article with no success:

www.dell.com/.../SLN304721

Josh

• @Community,

Please see the following document as it goes over a fix for improving the touch pad operation:

www.dell.com/.../SLN304721

Get back with any feedback.

Justin C

• @MillerJosh7481,

I just noticed you posted the same document as me. You can send me a friend request if you like and we can start a case for your issue.

Justin C

• Hey Justin, Josh, and everyone else in this thread with this issue. I've got the xps 9360 DE also, and have the exact same problem as you are having with the trackpad. It is extremely frustrating. First thing I tried was to blacklist psmouse, but the trackpad still intermittently stopped working.

I put these commands into a little shell script that I run every time it stops working and it seems to reset the trackpad. Unfortunately it doesn't always persist very long and I end up having to run it over again but it makes the machine at least usable, without having to close the lid every time.

#!/bin/bash

xinput disable 'DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad'

xinput enable DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad'

sudo modprobe -r i2c_hid

sudo modprobe i2c_hid

Hope this helps. Let me know if anyone else has made any progress on this.

Thanks,

Thomas

• @tjotx

your script worked for me...but sometimes only for a few seconds. This issue is super frustrating, I'm tempted just to return the computer at this point.