New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine - Dell XPS 13 developer edition / Project Sputnik Feedback - OS and Applications - Dell Community

New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

This question has been answered by DELL-Justin C

Hi everybody,

After I was so happy to have found a Linux supported laptop with very good specifications, I had to return the brand new 9350 QHD+ because of the coil whine noise. It was a real pity because I was in love with the rest, but it was simply too loud.

Now I am thinking again what to buy.

Is the design of the new XPS 13 Kaby Lake (9360) solving the coil whine problem?

If yes, I would prefer to wait and support Dell buying the DE.

I know this is not a hardware forum, but I hope that someone from Dell can give me an asnwer here. Thank you very much in advance!

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Well it seems the problem is still there with the new model, too:

https://redd.it/546886

and:

https://redd.it/544fr3

Thank you for supporting Linux, but it is a real pity, that the "MacBook killer" (also in the same price league) is having such a hardware design flaws.

• The answer (no) is in reddit, but also DELL has given a statement in the following thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19992657

• Dell XPS 13 9360 QHD+ i5-7200U Notebook Review

We already noticed a quiet coil whining from our test model during the initial tests and benchmarks. This problem was also reported from many users of the previous generation and was one of the biggest disadvantages of the XPS 13.

Our initial results and impressions are sobering: The system fan is often running, even without noteworthy CPU load. Our test model also has problems with coil whining, which is already notorious for XPS 13 models.

• You're asking a bit much from Dell... this is a very recent and underreported issue.

Trololo.

From what I read, the coil whine is still there. While most cases are pure non-issue\nitpicking, some units have a loud coil whine. I'm unaware of Dells policy regarding returns as this is very subjective?????

• Dear Community,

If there's coil noise from the 9360, we can investigate that. First, a little bit of history below.

There were 2 situations on previous models regarding coil noise:

Situation 1:

-the coil noise could only be heard in a very quiet environment but could not be heard in say an office environment ( during meetings, climate control running, while working at an office desk ).

Situation 2:

-coil noise could be heard in busy office environments ( during meetings, climate control running, working at office desk )

Dell Engineering deemed the behavior from Situation 1 to be: working as designed

For systems in situation 2: Dell came out with a motherboard revision for certain models previous to the XPS 9360.

Now for the XPS 9360:

For now, I need one volunteer. If you have a XPS 9360 that has noise levels as described in situation number 2 above, please add me as a friend and include your service tag, your name, email, phone and service address. We will need to bring one unit into Dell engineering for review.

I may also come back and ask for an engineering capture for one XPS 9360 that fits into situation 1, described above. This will be decided at a later time and I’ll get back with more on that.

Please note that I only need one volunteer for now. If I obtain the one volunteer, other friend requests will not be replied to. I will reply to all on this thread and let you all know once I have my one volunteer.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

• I received my XPS 9360 today and there is definitely coil whine. The origin of the noise is close to the power input.

- While it is not very loud, I noticed it while watching TV. It is thus, noticeable in a busy environment.

- The coil whine is louder when the computer is under load:

ex.: start-up, stress-test, stress-test + backlight

I'll upload a video on Youtube and provide you the link on Friday so you can see by yourself Justin C.

• That is helpful Gardiner.D, thank you.

Will you send me a friend request with your service tag and email address? I'd like to start a case with you on this.

Justin C

• I have sent you a friend request with my service tag, my email, my pc model & configuration, a description of the problem, and how I can reliably replicate the coil whine.

Coil whine is a known issue; it has been reported by a great number of customers. I wouldn't be picky, if it was a low-end computer. It is, however not the case. Top of the line, quality, experience; are reasons why I paid a hefty premium to purchase an XPS.

While such issues are inacceptable in a high-end machines, I am not too keen on the idea of sending a way a brand new laptop for several weeks. Regardless of the time bucket, I would be rendered laptop-less for a while. That said, I am sure we can find a solutions that works for both parties.

Oh, and thank you for looking into this Justin! A lot of people will appreciate your efforts :).

*Will post the YouTube link later today, when I have a little more time.

• I fully agree with gardiner.d,  this should be fixed on a high-end premium device. I'm sure Dell are doing all they can to fix this problem, I have faith in them :)

please do keep us posted :)

• Received my 9360 today and the whine is present. It's not the ticking that's distracting, it's the high pitched noise that is always there. Putting a finger on the trackpad makes it stop but what use is that.

Also came with a few cosmetic scratches and scuffs, and the Intel sticker isn't even straight.

I'm annoyed.

• @AlexRainbows,

Please send me a friend request with your information. I'd like to start a case with you.

@Gardiner.d,

Thank you for all your feedback and for working with me on this.

Justin C

• Good day Justin,

I received my XPS 13 9360 today and same thing. I have a very loud coil whine that I can hear from 10-15 ft away.

Honestly, nobody should be ordering this laptop... COIL WHINE is still VERY present... Nothing has been fixed over the years..

DO NOT BUY AN XPS13...

• Greetings SpykeYs,

Thank you for your post. Please do go ahead and send me a friend request with your information. We'll start a case.

Justin C

• I'm also noticing a loud coil whine, especially when looking videos. This is really a shame for such a high priced notebook.

• Hi..all
    it really fixed the Coil Whine issue??

threadposts.org/.../Dell-XPS-13-9360-Kaby-Lake-Coil-Whine-Issue.html