XPS 15 9560, 1.2.4 Stuck at DELL-screen after BIOS update - OS and Applications - Forum - OS and Applications - Dell Community

XPS 15 9560, 1.2.4 Stuck at DELL-screen after BIOS update

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

XPS 15 9560, 1.2.4 Stuck at DELL-screen after BIOS update

• I am mostly posting it here in case more people have this issue as I doubt that there is much to do except sending it back to dell.

Description of problem:
    After running the 1.2.4 update my XPS15 9560 freezes at the DELL screen. Rebooting and hammering F2 displays the "entering setup" text, but nothing happens, rebooting and hammering the F12 displays the "Entering boot options" but then nothing happens.

Following the Dell-unbrick routines  did not help. Reboot+ALT-ESC without USB-drive inserted causes the laptop to hang at a black screen. If i insert a BIOS-Recovery-USB-drive (created as described on the support-page) it hangs at the DELL-screen instead.

The laptop was powered via a USB-C monitor when updating but with full battery, since the update concerns thunderbolt support this might have had an impact?

How reproducible:
    Hopefully not very..

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Install the latest BIOS update

Actual results:
    Laptop does progress beyond the DELL-logo

Expected results:
    A better and more awesome BIOS

• @Zinob,

Thanks for the post and feedback. Please send me a friend request and we'll start an official Dell case together.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

• This also happened to me, was there anz follow up?

• Same exact issue. Had the laptop for 1 day. Just got the replacement from Dell and am now nervous to try the update again. Wish me luck.

• Oh hey, look at that... I just bricked my second band new 9560. Wonder if Dell will ship me another so we can go for the trifecta.

• Justin, you may want to see about getting that BIOS pulled before more people download it and brick their shiny toys.

• For anyone else coming across this, I saw on another thread that holding down FN during boot would cause the machine to try a diagnostics boot and then re-boot and get past the issue. There was also a suggestion that holding down the power button for 25 or so seconds until the charge light blinked would also reset the BIOS, but that did not seem to work for me.