Windows 7 Home Prem Disc - OS and Applications - Forum - OS and Applications - Dell Community

Windows 7 Home Prem Disc

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

Windows 7 Home Prem Disc

This question has been answered by natakuc4

Hi, I have Alien-ware Aurora R4 which needs Win 7 installed again (64bit) ( Hdd failed ) Do I have to use the Dell specific ( which I do not have ) or can I use a standard windows disc ( I have the COA on the machine )

Verified Answer
  • The official solution is to Clean Install Windows 10 TH2 or procure Dell/Alienware Reinstallation Media from Dell. This can be difficult if the systems out of warranty however.

Unofficial solution 1 is to use retail media and then install with the OEM Product key and the call Microsoft to activate by phone. It works but phone activation is tedious...

Unofficial solution 2 is to use retail media, make a Bootable USB, delete the EI.cfg file if necessary and then use the ABR program to reapply Dell OEM System Locked Preinstallation:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/the-activation-backup-and-recovery-program-windows-vista-7-version

Unofficial solution 3 is to procure an Alienware/Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD from eBay.

Unofficial solution 4 is to download a Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD. I've noticed the website GetIntoPC hosts a subset of these .isos and they match the file size of the ones I made.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

All Replies
  • You can Download a Windows 10 TH2 .iso, make a Bootable USB and clean install Windows 10 using your Windows 7 OEM product key:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Hi,

Thanks for the info, but I would like Win 7 ( Win 10 would be last resort ).

So am I guessing right then if 10 would install so would Win 7 using a standard disc...?

• You don't need Dell media. You can use any "Home Premium" media (there is also a way to install Home Premium from media labeled with a different version). The only thing Dell media does for you is auto-activate the install, which without, you would need the COA license key to activate (easiest way).

• The official solution is to Clean Install Windows 10 TH2 or procure Dell/Alienware Reinstallation Media from Dell. This can be difficult if the systems out of warranty however.

Unofficial solution 1 is to use retail media and then install with the OEM Product key and the call Microsoft to activate by phone. It works but phone activation is tedious...

Unofficial solution 2 is to use retail media, make a Bootable USB, delete the EI.cfg file if necessary and then use the ABR program to reapply Dell OEM System Locked Preinstallation:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/the-activation-backup-and-recovery-program-windows-vista-7-version

Unofficial solution 3 is to procure an Alienware/Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD from eBay.

Unofficial solution 4 is to download a Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD. I've noticed the website GetIntoPC hosts a subset of these .isos and they match the file size of the ones I made.

Philip Yip

• natakuc4

Phone activation is not usually necessary.

natakuc4

I'd forget this one. Too risky getting ISO's from disreputable sites.