2012 R2 Essentials - OS and Applications - Forum - OS and Applications - Dell Community

2012 R2 Essentials

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

2012 R2 Essentials

• Does 2012 essential server have to be a Domain Controller. If it does, is there a way to disable that feature. 

I am not running it as a DC and it shuts down every week, I would assume this is why. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• corball
    Does 2012 essential server have to be a Domain Controller. If it does, is there a way to disable that feature

This can't be disabled. There are two ways you can look at it. 1) It is the cost of the savings over purchasing Standard. 2) It is the cost of the pre-licensing for up to 50 users.

Must be the domain controller at the root of the forest and domain, and must hold all the FSMO roles.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn281793.aspx

Why not run a domain?

• Already have a 2008 server as a DC and I don't want to switch everything around. Can essential be upgraded to standard or does it have to be a clean install. When i do a dsim current edition I get ServerSolution and when i do a dsim target I get ServerStandard.

Thanks

• Yes, you can. Just keep in mind that Standard will require you to purchase/use CAL's for users/devices that were included in the Essentials install.

• Right now it is only used as a web server. Only 2 people log into the machine. Are there any CAL's included.

• Website users don't need CAL's, but the two users do. No CAL's are included with 2012 like was the case with previous OS's.