Windows product key that is stickered to my Dell case is not enough - OS and Applications - Forum - OS and Applications - Dell Community

Windows product key that is stickered to my Dell case is not enough

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

Windows product key that is stickered to my Dell case is not enough

• I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with Windows 7 Pro. I signed up for a year of support from Microsoft Assure. For one of my support requests, the Microsoft support folks want my product key. The only key I know is on a sticker underneath my laptop battery. Microsoft looked up that product key and told me it is an OEM key that Dell uses; they need me to get the real product key directly from Dell. Microsoft requires me to get this key from Dell before they will proceed with the tech support issue I am pursuing. Who at Dell can help me find the appropriate Windows 7 product key that will enable Microsoft to support my tech request?

• The key on the sticker under the battery of the system IS the real key. However, if they want the key used for activation, you can use any number of utilities to get it - try Magic Jelly Bean. It will not match the key on the sticker, because it is a special generic key for factory-installed activations.

Dell can't give you anything more than that, because there isn't anything more to give.

• Microsoft do not support Dell OEM licenses, they will keep you running round in circles...

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.