Cannot install Win2012 R2 on Poweredge 2950 with Perc 5/i - OS and Applications - Forum - OS and Applications - Dell Community

Cannot install Win2012 R2 on Poweredge 2950 with Perc 5/i

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

Cannot install Win2012 R2 on Poweredge 2950 with Perc 5/i

• Hello. I am trying to install Windows 2012 R2 on a Poweredge 2950 with Perc 5/i RAID controller. The installation doesn't see any disk drives. I have done the following:

- Confirmed BIOS (2.7.0) BMC (2.50) and Perc Firmware (5.2.2-0072).

- Cleared the RAID configuration and recreated a RAID-5 Virtual Disk from scratch.

- Tried with two different Win2012 R2 ISO images (booting off a USB stick).

I am (still) getting error "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now". Notice that I can see the drives fine if boot from a Win2008 R2 installer ISO.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Christos

• I had about a dozen 2950's running Server 2012 R2.

The "media driver" message screams of faulty media (either physically or from the ISO).

Do you have the option of setting the optical or SATA operation to ATA/Legacy/similar.

Did you also Initialize the array upon creation?

• Hello I finally got the Win2012 installer to work after downloading yet another ISO image. It is a Win2012 R2 evaluation. Can I turn it into "fully licensed" version?

• Yes, you can:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/26823.server-20122012-r2-upgradeconvert-evaluation-edition-to-retail.aspx