How to get my Windows 7 product key - OS and Applications - Forum - OS and Applications - Dell Community

How to get my Windows 7 product key

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

How to get my Windows 7 product key

• Hi All,

I am using a dell Inspiron laptop for last 2 years which came pre-installed windows 7 home premium. Yesterday I had to re-install the OS . Prior to re-install I have note down the Activation key from My computer properties. That is a OEM key (xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx). After re-install I am trying to activate the windows, but unable to use the OEM code. I have the windows key sticker back of my laptop, but it is faded now and could not read it. I read some forums and users are suggested to call Microsoft support, thay can provide me the registration key from OEM code. I have called up Microsoft support  today, but they told they can not provide it from their side. 

Anybody know how can I get the actual registration code, from OEM pre-installed code ?

• XXXXX-OEM-8992687-00095 or XXXXX-OEM-8992687-00191 is the product ID and not the product key. The first XXXXX indicate the language.

The unique 25 digit product key is on your COA which is likely under your battery. State your exact model of Inspiron for more details.

If you are installing with Dell Reinstallation DVD a system locked preinstallation key should be automatically input and Windows should automatically be activated when a valid Dell BIOS is detected. The Windows properties will show Windows activated with the system ID the same as the above. If you are installing from Retail media such as a Digital River .iso, the SLP activation can be added with the ABR program. See my video here for details: