Activating Windows 8.1 pro - OS and Applications - Forum - OS and Applications - Dell Community

Activating Windows 8.1 pro

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

Activating Windows 8.1 pro

• Cannot activate Windows 8.1 pro (preloaded) on Dell Inspiron 14 3421. Trying to activate it online gives an Error code: 0x8007007B. I checked Microsoft Support but no DNS / Network problems are there as it suggests. I cannot enter any product key since I didn't get one.

Bought it on March 31 2014, Its not asking me to activate windows and I am able to use it without any hassle just a "Activate Windows Go to PC settings to activate widows" text is being displayed just above the taskbar (bottom right). 

Right click >> computer >> click properties screen shows  "Windows is not activated. Read the Microsoft Software Licensing Terms".

• Download and run RWEverything and get the key from ACPI->MSDM, then enter they key on the activation screen to activate Windows.

Have you installed Windows yourself? or is this the factory install of Windows that is doing this?

• It was pre loaded / installed. 

Can't see the MSDM tab under ACPI tables, below is a screenshot

• I bought my optiblex 330 at Ebay, when I enter the key number it says is not the right number, is suppose to be 25 caracters. it is have 25 caracters

• lnl_ruiz65

I bought my optiblex 330 at Ebay, when I enter the key number it says is not the right number, is suppose to be 25 caracters. it is have 25 characters

The OptiPlex 330 is a late 2007 system and hence came with Windows Vista or Windows XP. It will not have a UEFI BIOS and it will hence not have a UEFI BIOS Embedded 25 digit product key for Windows 8/8.1. Hence it does not have a MSDM tab.

Windows XP and Windows Vista are both obsolete. Windows XP is at end of life, Windows Vista has no IE10/11 or Office 2013 support and no Digital Download. Neither Windows XP or Vista are eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 and it is not worth buying Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 which will both be obsolete in late summer.

You are best to install Windows 10 Technical Preview. Evaluate it until its released and take advantage of the possible free upgrade from Windows 10 TP to Windows 10 RTM or at least a promotional discount.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.