Web cam not working - OS and Applications - Forum - OS and Applications - Dell Community

Web cam not working

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

Web cam not working

• I brought a dell 15R 5521 with windows 8 already install on 16 feb 2013.My service tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> .

Its cam worked properly on that day but next day when i installed skype on it skype reported

no camera detected .Then i opened camera app from start menu and its showing black screen

with a messege "connect a camera". I then went to device manager to check there was nothing related to web cam. I cant find its driver also. Should i use Dell backup and recovery's recovery option to restore it to factory image. Will this solve my problem?

Also I cant find windows 8 product key on the basck of my laptop...

Waiting for ur reply...

• Hi Vivek_Inspiron,

Before you do a factory reset, let’s try few troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue:

Try to uninstall the Dell webcam central software, perform the following steps:

1. Click Start.
    2. Click Control Panel.
    3. Using the drop-down menu next to View by: in the upper-right corner, select Large Icons.
    4. Click Programs and Features.
    5. Click Dell Webcam Central.
    6. Click Uninstall.
    7. Confirm the uninstall process by clicking OK.

Once uninstalled restart the computer.

Now, install the webcam software from below mentioned link:

ftp.us.dell.com/.../Dell_SX2210-Monitor_Webcam%20SW%20RC1.1_%20R230103.exe

I have provided a link below for Skype video settings:

http://bit.ly/Xr8cYj

Also, run diagnostics on webcam.

http://dell.to/TjfHhO

Under component select camera and click on Run diagnostics.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

• I should first inform u that tgere was no web cam central to start with. when camera wasn't detected i search for web cam central there was nothing. Theres only a camera app on start up.I used to acces cam through it but now its not detecting. My friend has a 15r model so i borrowed his web cam central cd and installed it but no effect. then i posted my problem here. I followed ur steps and installed new wc central but still no change. Then i ran the dignostic It asked me to download .exe file.So i downloaded it and ran it. I wanted for an hour for it but no results was shown nothing.

Under device i cant see camera detected nor any warnings.

So what should i do now?

should i restore my laptop?

I also found one post on the dell support site some has upgraded to windows 8 n his cam wasn't detected. The technician asked him to restore his BIOS to default.

Suggest me.

Waiting for a fasty reply...  

• Hi Vivek_Inspiron,

Yes BIOS update is also a valid step.

I have provided a link below to do a BIOS update on the computer:

http://dell.to/XQiKPn

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
    • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.
    • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
    • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working wall jack before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    Yes".

• NOTHING HAPPENED. The version you send is same as the version installed on my laptop but i still installed it. NO RESULTS.

So what next?

This is my first personal laptop and i want everything in it to work fine.

Should i go for a factory restore?

Waiting for your reply.

• Hi Vivek_Inspiron,

Lets Check if Webcam is detected in Device manager.

• From the Start screen, swipe up and tap the All apps icon.
    • If you have a mouse, right-click on the Start screen and then click All apps.
    • Once on the Apps screen, scroll or swipe to the right until you see the Windows System heading.
    • Tap or click on Control Panel, located under Windows System.
    • Windows 8 will bring up the Desktop and automatically open the Control Panel.
    • Tap or click on the Hardware and Sound link.
      • Note: You won't see Hardware and Sound if your Control Panel view is set to Large icons or Small icons.
    • In the Hardware and Sound window, click or tap Device Manager, located under the Devices and Printers heading.
    • Under Imaging Devices check if webcam is available.

Also, run diagnostics on Webcam from the below link:

http://dell.to/TjfHhO

Under component select camera and click on Run diagnostics.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    Yes".

• I have the same problem, Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 just purchased this week. No webcame software installed. Bios is up to date, no device under device manager > imaging devices.

• Update: Ran the diagnostics and it didn't find anything wrong

• The webcam software says "No supported webcam" and there is no devices in device manager for "iimaging devices". There isn't even an "imaging devices" tree.

• I have same problem theres nodevice tree at all. When Ibrought it the first day the cam worked, but next day when I installed skype ,it reported no cam detected. So i opened the camera app from start page the screen was blank and it was written "connect a camera" . Don't know whats wrong.

• There's no imaging device tree in the device manager. I searched the whole device manager each and every tree couldn't find anything related to camera. Ialso ran the diagnostic it didn't show any results.

waiting for your reply.

• I fixed my issue.

Open device manager, you'll see a USB device with an exclamation at the bottom. Right click and uninstall it. Then click options and scan for new hardware. Windows should automatically install the webcam driver.

• Hi Vivek_Inspiron,

As morrty said,check in USB device with exclamation mark, right click and uninstall it. Then click options and scan for new hardware. If the issue persists, Kindly private message the error code with the service tag. I will review your account and take the case forward.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    Yes".

• There's no USB device with exclamation mark in device manager.

• I had the same problem and the above trick works.