Dell Inspiron laptop can't start windows 7 after I "successfully" restore my computer back to factory setting using dell datasafe recovery

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

Dell Inspiron laptop can't start windows 7 after I "successfully" restore my computer back to factory setting using dell datasafe recovery

• I have a Dell Inspiron N7010.  It had a virus and kept having issues at start-up and sometimes it would have to close in the middle of a session.  If I used windows to help find a solution it owuld give me error code FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.  The suggestions was to restore and put it back to original factory condition.  I saved all my files.  I had tried recovery to an earlier date, but I would continue to get the problem.  I do have The Dell Drivers & Utiliies disc, and I created the2  system recovery discs when I first set-up the computer.  I went to the Dell Data Safe Recovery.  I chose to restore to the factory condition from Decemebr 2010.  It went thru the process (didn't have me insert any discs)  and ended with a green sucess checkmark.  It asked me to restart the computer.  When I restart it Windows will NOT start at all now. 

Startup Repair cannot fix the problem.

Problem event: startup repair offline

Problem signature 1    6.1.7600.16385

2  6.1.7600.16385

3   unknown

4    21200679

5  auto failure

6    4

7   failure during setup

OS Version 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Windows cannot repair auto - repair details 4 attempts

session disk = \device\harddisk 0

windows directory = c:\windows

auto chk run = 0

# of root causes = 1

Tests  ** all completed successfully with error Code = 0 X 0

Root Cause - failure while setup is in progress.

I can click on link to advanced recovery option..but I don't know what to do once I get there...  PLEASE HELP!!!!

• Hi,

I recommend you to follow the troubleshooting steps below:

1. We can try to boot the computer in safe mode. To boot the computer in safe mode, please switch on the computer and start tapping the F8 key which would take you to Advanced Boot Option screen. Using the up and down arrow key, select Safe Mode with networking to boot the computer into Safe Mode with Networking.
    2. Once you are in Safe Mode with Networking, check if you can connect to the internet. If yes I recommend you to create a new profile.
    3. If in Safe Mode with Networking, you observe that the system is slow and you get popups for viruses, I suggest you to perform PC restore or Clean Operating System reinstallation.

To assist you with the further trouble shooting steps, please send me the system Service Tag and the name under which the system is registered in a private message.

I am sending you a private message, please click on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide the system’s Service Tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

Please reply to my private message.

Thanks and Regards
    Priyanka S
    #iworkfordell

• I am having almost exactly the same problem except I did not have a virus, I just had a Blue Screen error that kept crashing my laptop Stop error code: 0x00000050. I did the Factory Restore twice, as a matter of fact I am trying it a third time right now hoping for a different outcome. Anyway I get the big green check mark that the restore was completed successfully but when it restarts It will not boot up al all. Not even in Safe Mode. I can get in to F2, F8, and F12, but not safe mode. The Startup Repair cannot repair automatically. It says Failure During Setup. It tells me Root Cause Found: Failure while setup is in progress.

The Stop error code that flashes up just before it shuts down is: 0x0000007B.

I Have run all of the diagnostics and everything checks out fine.

Please help, I don't know what else to do.

• I have the same problem as pqbiii....what do I do. Please help!!! OH AND I CAN NOT GET INTO SAFE MODE AT ALL!!!

Thanks

• I am facing the exact same issue and now I am totally stuck on not being able to do anything. Also, I dont see a safe mode option. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I got mine fixed...he (the guy who fixed it) said he had to reinstall windows. I would suggest that if you know any one who is an IT...ask them for help...try to get as much help as possible...I GOT MINE FIXED FREE!!!

• Any updates/fixes here? I'm having the exact same problem, and can't find a solution. I would be so grateful for any help.
  • I have the same problem.  Did you find out a way to fix?

• Hi mwhit49,

Please elaborate the issue with the computer so that I can provide you the best resolution.

If any hardware issues, run diagnostics on the computer. If it’s a laptop, restart the computer by holding the Fn and Power button simultaneously. This would run diagnostics on the computer.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

• dell-rajesh r - I am having the same issue and even had it do a dell datasafe emergency backup - once it finished I had it do a fresh install of os - tried using the delldatasafe icon in the emergency file and says cannot restore due to cannont find file ....256. the files stopped at 216.

Found info online about go to windows and start datasafe and restore from there - lol - it said I had to but the ugrade for 40 dollars - foolish me thinking that would solve it - it wont even let me access the emergency file - says none found - so now what do I do

• Hi dannypatton,

According to the description it seems that you have a basic version.

Below link would help you with the information about Dell data safe:

http://dell.to/LiKU4h

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    Yes".

• I have a Dell studio XPS with Windows 7 Home Premium.  I am having the same problem.  My computer was having multiple problems, and I decided to restore the computer to factory settings using Dell Datasafe.  Now the computer will not start at all.  It will try to go through the setup, and blinks a blue screen with white writing, but it is so fast that I cannot read it. Then it will go to the strating windows screen and then I get a Windows Error Recover window That state that windows could not start.  I cannot get it to start in safe mode.

• Rajesh R

- That was one of my points earlier - Dell doesnt tell you that when you do an emergency backup or even a backup that you are going to have to spend $40.00 after you backup just to restore your files.."Found info online about go to windows and start datasafe and restore from there - lol - it said I had to bu(y) the ugrade for 40 dollars - foolish me thinking that would solve it". Foolish me means that I bought the program and it still didn't work. It wouldn't even give me the option to choose the emergency backup file. So what do I do now.

• Hi dannypatton,

Please accept my apology for any inconvenience caused.

The software is designed to work that way and to use the premium version we need to upgrade Dell DataSafe local.

For further information please refer below link:

http://dell.to/LiKU4h

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    Yes".

• Hi Rajesh,

I am having the same issue as everoyne else... windows now does not want to start in safe mode or not... no problems in diagnostic check.... Microsoft has a fix for 0x0000007B but windows has to be running.... when i do startup repair i get same details as the OP but problem signature 04 is 769 and problem signature 06 is 1