Changing the language of the OS - OS and Applications - Forum - OS and Applications - Dell Community

Changing the language of the OS

OS and Applications

OS and Applications
Dell OS and Applications Solutions on Dell TechCenter - Project Sputnik, Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more

Changing the language of the OS

• While activating the OS for the first time, I choosed hebrew as the OS language, and got a massege saing this can not be changed anymore.
    Can I still change it is I'll reinstall the OS?

technical details:
    Laptop: Inspiton 5323

Thanks!

• Hi valeriazabelotsky,

To change the language in operating system, please perform the following steps:

1. Open Regional and Language Options by clicking the Start button -> Control Panel -> Clock, Language and Region -> Regional and Language Options.
    2. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.
    3. Under Display language, choose a language from the list, and then click OK.

If this does not fix the issue, you may restore the system to factory settings and setup the system again.

To take the system back to factory settings, please do a PC restore by performing the following steps:

Note: PC restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music, favorites etc.) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

1. Restart the system.
    2. Press <F8> when the Dell logo appears to enter the ‘Advanced Boot Options Menu’.
    3. In Advanced Boot Options menu, select ‘Repair your Computer' and press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
    4. Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
    5. System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
    6. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
    7. Choose a Recovery Tool Window appears, select Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup.
    8. The Welcome screen will show 2 options; Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files and Select other System Backup and more options. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next.
    9. The next window shows these options; Backup Files and folders and Restore my computer. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
    10. Select the Factory Image and click ‘Next’.
    11. The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click ‘Next’.
    12. A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved in the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next.
    13. PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart.
    14. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account.

You can also refer to Article ID: 125843 on support.dell.com. Visit the website and enter the article ID in the search box.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks and Regards,
    GauravS
    #iworkfordell

• Does this procedure also work for changing the language from Dutch to English?

I have an Inspiron 15R 5520, preinstalled with Windows 7 Home Premium.

On my order form, it states: Operating System : Dutch Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64BIT)

• I asked this question to Technical Support from Dell as well, and they answer that it is not possible to change languages in Windows Home Premium. You need Windows Ultimate to do this. I found another solution though: use Vistalizator, see http://www.froggie.sk/

Works perfect, also for Windows Home Premium.

• I need to do this for Windows 10 from German to english. 

Any suggestion as Vistalizator does not come for Windows 10.