PowerEdge VRTX: What is the purpose of Layer 3 mode on the integrated switch? - Networking - Forum - Networking - Dell Community

PowerEdge VRTX: What is the purpose of Layer 3 mode on the integrated switch?

Networking

Networking
Learn how to modernize & transform the network with the latest solutions from Dell Data Center, Campus and Wireless networking solutions.

PowerEdge VRTX: What is the purpose of Layer 3 mode on the integrated switch?

This question is not answered

For the life of me I cannot figure out what this function is for.

By enabling it on the port connected to the upstream FIOS (Broadband) router via the Web UI I loose connectivity to everything. Likewise if I do it via the CLI/console "no switchport" i loose connectivity, which make no sense!

Please explain its purpose and how to configure as the documentation provided/available is less than expected!

All Replies
  • The switchport command places the interface into layer 3 mode. In layer 3 mode the interface can have an IP Address assigned to it so that it can be routed. On these switches you will typically see this done on the VLAN interface. What goal/outcome are you trying to achieve?

Daniel Covey
    Dell EMC | Enterprise Support Services
    Get support on Twitter: @DellCaresPRO

Download our QRL app: iOSAndroidWindows

• Daniel,

The goal is to be able to route traffic from the upstream FIOS router  into this switch.

All traffic on the VRTX switch can access everything connected directly and also on the internet, but I am not able to say, ping a blade server connected to the internal port on the VRTX S/W.