Dell S4048-ON - Networking - Forum - Networking - Dell Community

Dell S4048-ON

Networking

Networking
Learn how to modernize & transform the network with the latest solutions from Dell Data Center, Campus and Wireless networking solutions.

Dell S4048-ON

This question has suggested answer(s)

We received new Dell S4048-ON switches. Really seem to be a bird of a different feather. Most importantly I am just looking to connect ESXi host interfaces to these switches and configure the switch ports that the ESXi hosts are uplinked to as 802.1Q trunk ports to pass multiple VLANs. Does anyone know how to do this or where there is tech doc that explains how to do this.

In addition though, I'd like to create the VLANs on the switches and assign an IP address to the VLANs to make them routable. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All Replies
  • You will need set the VLAN as tagged or untagged for each interface. To be Trunk mode, simply tag multiple VLANs at one time. Here is a KB article with an example of this.

http://dell.to/2pGjk7E

If you want both tagged and untagged you will need to use hybrid mode.

# portmode hybrid

Here is a video on assigning IP address to the VLAN.

http://bit.ly/2tj5IV1

Hope this helps.

Daniel Covey
    Dell EMC | Enterprise Support Services
    Get support on Twitter: @DellCaresPRO

Download our QRL app: iOSAndroidWindows

• Hello Daniel. Thank you for your response. Yes, this information helps. Just a few additional questions.

Does this imply that that the Dell S4808-ON (ONIE) comes with FTOS installed by default? Also just curious about the difference, the KB shows FTOS# as the command prompt and the video shows Force10# as the command prompt?

Your response implies that I can set multiple VLANs on one interface, whether tagged or untagged. Is that accurate? Typically on a switch if you create a 802.1Q trunk and then allow VLANs, you need to include all VLANs in allow command or lose previous allowed VLANs. Meaning is I allow vlan id 10, 20. And then later go back to that port trunk and allow vlan id 30, 40, I would lose VLANs 10, 20 being allowed. So I would have to actually allow vlan id 10, 20, 30, 40, to persist the previous allowed VLANs. Does it work the same way on the S4808-ON?

On the video, one command changes the default vlan from 1 to 999. But on the previous show vlan command, VLAN 999 didn't exist. wouldn't VLAN 999 need to exist before making it the default VLAN? After change default VLAN to 999 and then doing the show vlan command it returns VLN 999 but VLAN 1 no longer exist? But then the video goes on to add an IP address to the interface VLAN 1? After applying the IP address to VLAN 1 and then running show vlan command, VLAN 1 & 999 are returned. One VLAN is active and one VLAN is inactive. What is the difference? Seems like inactive would imply that the VLAN is not usable. How do you set status?

Thank you for your help!!

• Yes it comes with FTOS/DNOS 9 installed. There is no access command like on DNOS 6. Adding any additional tagged VLANs will not remove preciously configured VLANs. You can tag for VLAN 10 and 20, and then later add VLAN 30 and 40 without affecting 10 and 20. Multiple tagged VLANs can be on one connection, but just one untagged.

Without any clients in a VLAN, the VLAN will be inactive. As soon as you place a device on the VLAN it become active. Entering the VLAN interface creates the VLAN.

I found another KB article with more info and command examples.

http://dell.to/2thouvq

Daniel Covey
    Dell EMC | Enterprise Support Services
    Get support on Twitter: @DellCaresPRO

Download our QRL app: iOSAndroidWindows

• Thank you very much for this information, Daniel. This indeed will be very helpful.

One other question. Since I am not certain this is, or behaves as, true 802.1Q, I am wondering do you know does this work when uplinking vSphere ESXi hosts NICs to the switch ports (configured with tagged VLANs) and doing VLAN tagging at the PortGroup level on a virtual switch?

Thank you!

• Daniel, I can't seem to see how to the the management port working to access the switch remotely.

For example, I define a VLAN on the switch and make that VLAN a layer 3 VLAN.

I configure a port on the switch to be a switchport untagged on that VLAN.

I configure the management Ethernet interface. Cannot give it an IP address on the same subnet that the layer 3 VLAN is on because the management Ethernet interface cannot be on the same subnet as any other subnet on the switch.

So I give the management Ethernet interface an IP address that is not part of any other subnet.

The I have to assign a management route for the management Ethernet interface. And those instructions state:

Define a path from the system to the network from which you are accessing the system remotely. Management routes are separate from IP routes and are only used to manage the system through the management port.
    To configure a management route, use the following command.•
    Configure a management route to the network from which you are accessing the system.
    CONFIGURATION mode

management route ip-address/mask gateway–ip-address:

the network address in dotted-decimal format (A.B.C.D).–mask: a subnet mask in /prefix-length format (/ xx).as

–gateway: the next hop for network traffic originating from the management port.

So if I tell the management route the network address of the layer 3 VLAN with its mask. For example the VLAN interface is 192.168.5.1 so the management route network would be 192.168.5.0/24 (I guess). And then the next hop or default gateway for the management Ethernet interface? What would that even be? You don't seem to be able to define a default gateway on the switch. And i this case the management Ethernet interface isn't even leaving the switch.

So I connect a laptop to the switch port I have configured as untagged on the layer 3 VLAN I created. I give the laptop an IP address, mask, and gateway, which is IP address assigned to the VLAN interface. I can ping the gateway (VLAN interface IP address) but I cannot telnet or ssh to the management Ethernet port. And I really don't know how I would considering the configuration.

I must be missing something. What would the management Ethernet interface's gateway be?

Does the management Ethernet port actually have to be connected somewhere? That wouldn't make sense because then it seems I would just configure the management Ethernet interface itself with an IP address, mask, and gateway for where ever it was connected to. I don't understand the whole management route thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Sorry to dig out this post but I stuck at the same issue. Did you find a solution?

• What I found with the management interfaces is, yes, if you want to use them to manage your switch they need a physical connection to the network.

So if you set the Unit ID on the switch to anything other than default of 1, that will be your management interface. So, if switch Unit ID is one then interface is ManagementEthernet 1/1. If you set switch Unit ID to 2 then interface is ManagementEthernet 2/1.

Then you set an IP address on that interface based on the network you are connecting interface to. (config t int managementethernet 1/1) So if you are connecting to 10.0.0.0 /24 then set IP address something like 10.0.0.10 /24. (ip address 10.0.0.10 /24).

Then if you want to set the management route, and this is only for the management port route, nothing else, set at global config (config t). Simply configure the local gateway as default route to all. So say the gateway is 10.0.0.1. then management route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1.

Obviously you can set IP addresses on VLAN interfaces, switch port interfaces, etc. And I understand that you can manage your switch via this method as well. I have not tested it yet to see if it will work without needing a dedicated connection like the management port. But I would hope it would work that way.

These switches are a bird of a different feather.

• Thx for the Explanation. But unfortunately I didn't get it completly. The Unit is 0 in my case. I have only 1 Switch. So I have to use Management 0/0 Interface? I did. But do I have to plug in a cable in the Management-Port and on the other side in a Swith-Port? Isn't this a Loop? Except the cable I did all this. 

Best regards

• I don't believe you can set a Unit to 0. Maybe we aren't talking about the same switch? Out of the box the Unit ID should be 1 and all ports are 1/x.

It is not a loop. It is a management port. That is all it is. And yes if you want to use the management interface to manage the switch you have to connect it to a switch. Not sure how it is going to work connecting that interface to a port in the front of the switch, unless you've already configured the switch - at least enough so that if you cannot a workstation to that switch and connect the management interface to the front of the switch you are going to be able to communicate with the management port.