Change managment VLAN on PowerConnect 6224

Networking

Networking
Learn how to modernize & transform the network with the latest solutions from Dell Data Center, Campus and Wireless networking solutions.

Change managment VLAN on PowerConnect 6224

• We have just purchased two PowerConnect 6224 and I am still learning the commands for this switch. I would like to change the management VLAN from VLAN 1 to VLAN 120 to match the rest of the switches in our network. I have created a trunk between the Cisco 6509 and Dell 6224 to include VLANs 1, 120 & 210 which is working because I can access devices connected to the 6224 that are on VLAN 210. At the moment I have given VLAN 1 an ip address of 192.168.0.x and can connect to the 6224, but as soon as I try and make VLAN 120 the management VLAN and give it and address of 10.65.2.x I loose connectivity and cannot reach that address.
    Once I set the management VLAN to 120 and try and ping another device connected to the Cisco from the Dell 6224 I get a destination unreachable reply. To me is sounds like the traffic is getting blocked, but like I said I am new to these switches and still trying to figure my way around.
  • Problem resolved: The issue was that the native vlan for the port on the Cisco 6509 was set to vlan 120, therefore none of the traffic destined for that vlan was being tagged. Going between two Cisco devices this was not a problem but once I went between a Dell and a Cisco the problem emerged. I changed the native vlan on the Cisco 6509 to something other than a vlan that was in the trunk and was able to change the management vlan on the Dell 6224.
  • do you mind sending the config for the trunk port you created between the 6224 and the 6509? I've been trying to get a basic trunk working with no luck.

thanks!