MTBF

Networking

Networking
Learn how to modernize & transform the network with the latest solutions from Dell Data Center, Campus and Wireless networking solutions.

MTBF

• I need to know the MeanTime BetweenFailure for Dell PowerEdge R710 and Dell PowerConnect 2816 but I can not find it anywhere. Can you please tell me the MTBF for these two devices or where to find it . Thank you!
  • MTBF numbers are not published publicly by the major vendors. You can sometimes find MTBF from the individual component vendors such as those for RAM and Harddrives .... but us, HP, IBM, do not publish MTBF to the general public.

You will have to contact your account rep to get MTBF information under NDA.
  • Getting this info from suppliers is a constant source of frustration. Most every other spec is listed on the datasheet, I don't see why this is any different.

In our company, we need this data to calculate System Availability and RAMS data to put in the spec when tendering for new systems. This, and regulatory info such as EMC DOC, environmental info such as max operating temp, humidity, vibration, shock, and lifecycle data such as the projected Last order date, and how long it will be supported afterwards, are all mandated in most contracts.

It's a royal PIA to get this data, and there's many weeks of constant nagging to get it.

Why aren't manufacturers more project friendly? Why don't you want to participate in high-visibility multi-million dollar projects?
  • "Getting this info from suppliers is a constant source of frustration. Most every other spec is listed on the datasheet, I don't see why this is any different.

In our company, we need this data to calculate System Availability and RAMS data to put in the spec when tendering for new systems. This, and regulatory info such as EMC DOC, environmental info such as max operating temp, humidity, vibration, shock, and lifecycle data such as the projected Last order date, and how long it will be supported afterwards, are all mandated in most contracts.

It's a royal PIA to get this data, and there's many weeks of constant nagging to get it.

Why aren't manufacturers more project friendly? Why don't you want to participate in high-visibility multi-million dollar projects?"
    Dell's main focus is the home user (they pay the bills) so while Dell does substantial business with the Industrial and even military marketspace where this type of information is critical, it is not their core business. This is the reason we buy from companies like Core Systems (coresystemsusa.com)...they are solely focused on the industrial and military markets. They publish MTBF, Temprature/Humidity as well as shock and vibration information for all of their systems.

Now...when it comes to laptops and other home equipment...I'm all about Dell.

Good luck,
    -C