submitting bugs?

Networking

Networking
Learn how to modernize & transform the network with the latest solutions from Dell Data Center, Campus and Wireless networking solutions.

submitting bugs?

This question is answered

Hello,

is there a way to submit bugs for dell switches without calling the powerconnect team?  Sometimes the bugs are small and not service affecting, but should probably be addressed.

Example:  the logging file command on the 8024/M8024/M6220/70xx is not persistent.  I have to recode it every time i upgrade the firmware - probably because the command doesn't actually end up in the show run

Blake

Verified Answer
  • Blake,

I pushed back with the information that you provided and they have been able to recreate the issue that you have described.  The process has been submitted.  

No time frame was presented.  I will continue to post any further updates to the process.

Thanks again for your persistence.

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

All Replies
  • Blake,

We can handle any submission of possible bugs for the PowerConnect switches.  

In this particular case can you provide as much pertinent information about what you are encountering.  

1. What actual command you are running?

2. What results are you seeing before the firmware upgrade?

3. What results are you seeing after the firmware upgrade?

4. What are you actually recoding to get back the proper response?

5. Anything else that you are doing to recreate the event.

Thanks for willingness to provide valuable feedback.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• I'll get back to this thread soon with answers - i have some new 7048 switches i can use as a test case - i want to be sure it's a firmware update that breaks it and not just a switch reboot

Blake

• ok, did some testing this afternoon and I have the bug nailed down.(replicable)

Here's the specific commands that i'm typing:

"logging file errors"

"copy run start"

"show logging file"

***you'll notice that logging file is enabled***

"show run"

***you'll notice that the command logging file errors doesn't appear in the sh run***

"reload"

after the switch reloads, you can do a show logging file - it's set to disabled

Drives me bonkers!  Everytime i log into my 70xx,80xx,m80xx,m6220 switches, the file logging is disabled because i've rebooted it or done a firmware update (reboot)

I can replicate it every time :)

As a workaround, i learned that if you type the command "logging file 2" on this firmware, it will put the command into the show run and the command will persist.  "logging file errors" does not (even though the switch accepts the command and shows it as an acceptable arguement.)

Blake

• Another quick update:

It seems to just be the errors setting.  I am able to type "logging file info" and that command makes its way into the show run.  

Logging file 3 (the real setting for "errors") also does not go into the show run

• I haven't tested the reboot theory, but the same problem of "logging file errors" not showing up in the show run - occurrs on the 55xx switches (different firmeware)

Regards,

Blake

• Blake,

I have forwarded the information you have provided to be submitted.  I will post any information that is available in response to the request.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

• The reply we received from the submission.

Not a bug .  So the Default logging file level is Error. When a show run is completed all you see is the logging file is set to error.  By default the running-config hides commands that are default.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/PC70XX/en/CLI/PDF/CLI_UG.pdf page 1570

• Yes, this is correct, the default logging file setting is error (if enabled)

However, the default setting for "logging file" is disabled.

The bug is not that it doesn't show up in the show run - that was a theory as to why the bug exists

The bug *is* that if you use the default "logging file" command or "logging file 3" or "logging file errors" and reboot the switch, file logging will be back to disabled.    (command:  show logging file)

I can replicate this on 70xx, 80xx, m80xx, m6220 and 55xx

Blake

• Blake,

I pushed back with the information that you provided and they have been able to recreate the issue that you have described.  The process has been submitted.  

No time frame was presented.  I will continue to post any further updates to the process.

Thanks again for your persistence.

• Great news - Thanks!