The Internet of Things (IoT) is the hottest tech topic around. Not a day goes by that I don’t field a question on the subject and most of them are centric to how analytics fit into the overall landscape. In my humble opinion analytics is the most important aspect of IoT projects as it leverages the data to provide a path to insight and action. Taking action on this information is especially critical for end users but at the same time IoT presents a complicated environment and requires a more sophisticated approach.

If you’re getting ready to jump into an IoT project here are a couple ideas to consider and insure you include in your strategy.

• Determine if you can run analytics where the data is?
    • Can you do analytics at the edge?
    • Can you avoid the time and investment of moving IoT?
    • Can you combine traditional data with IoT data to gain better insights?
      • Combining IoT data at the core and blending it with traditional information creates a lot of value.
      • Don’t forget to address security from the beginning
        • Security is critical in our standard projects and especially true of an environment that includes gateways and sensors. Can you secure your data from the edge to the core?

I’d like to hear your thoughts on IoT architecture and how you’re starting on the road to IoT innovation.

Angela Waner
angela.waner@software.dell.com