Following on from my previous blog about predicting the lifetime of your production database hardware now we’ll take a look at how Toad for Oracle DBA Suite can help you when you need to migrate hardware.

Fast forward a few weeks… you’ve bought a new server and maybe planning to upgrade an Oracle version too. No doubt your hardware provider has gone to great lengths to tell you how much faster the new hardware will be, and Oracle have been raving about the improvements they’ve made to the RDBMS. But rather than take their word for it I think the majority of DBAs would like to find out for themselves, ideally with their own data and database activity!

Another tool that the Toad for Oracle DBA Suite arms you with is Benchmark Factory. It allows you to capture the activity on your current production database and replay on your pre-production database. (Because, no matter how good your QA/UAT team are, they are very unlikely to be able to replicate the concurrent user workload of your production database).

Benchmark Factory will then give you a side-by-side comparison of the performance of the capture in production versus the replay in pre-production, allowing you to choose your performance metric of choice (StatsPack/AWR/etc.). To get the full picture you can use the performance monitoring pane in Spotlight against the pre-production database while the replay is running in Benchmark Factory to see how the different database components are behaving against production level activity, allowing you to see if the configuration of your Oracle database is correct.

On the theme of Oracle migrations, check out my blog on SharePlex, our Oracle database migration solution that can eliminate downtime and risk involved in migrating/upgrading Oracle.

So hopefully you can see how Toad for Oracle DBA Suite can give you the information you need when deciding on the future of your database hardware and help avoid any nasty surprises when you do decide to migrate!

I'm also hosting a webcast series around this topic at the moment if you'd like to join and find out more. See the link below:

Denis O’Sullivan

About Denis O’Sullivan

Denis is a Systems Consultant with Dell Software in Cork, Ireland, covering our portfolio of database management tools such as Toad & SharePlex. Prior to joining Dell Software, Denis worked as an Oracle database administrator and application server administrator for over 7 years.

View all posts by Denis O’Sullivan | Twitter Follow Denis O'Sullivan on Twitter