In my last blog, I explained why a holistic approach is critical to keeping your New Year’s resolutions. In particular, we saw why keeping your resolution to simplify your Oracle migrations and upgrades requires an enterprise migration solution.

Photo Credit:  U.S. Army Licensed under CC BY 2.0

In this blog, as promised, I’m going to help you find the right enterprise migration solution. To truly achieve your goal, you need a solution that:

• Helps ensure a smooth migration or upgrade by enabling pre-migration impact analysis and load testing
  • Helps ensure the target environment is functioning optimally after the migration by providing diagnostics and SQL tuning

Let’s look at each of those features in more detail:

• Impact analysis When you upgrade to a new version of Oracle, you get an new version of the optimizer. Why does that matter? Well, as you know, a given SQL statement can be executed in many different ways (full table scans, index scans, nested loops, hash joins and so on), and each of these options has a different execution time. After an upgrade, the new optimizer might choose a different execution plan than the old optimizer did, potentially causing business-critical jobs to run significantly slower. Therefore, it’s critical to choose a migration solution that enables you to play your workload on the new system and look for changes in execution plans before you go live, so you can take steps to prevent slowdowns rather than scrambling to fix them later.
  • Load testing — In the past, how have you assessed whether your new database can handle your actual workload before you go live with it? If you’ve ever had to try to orchestrate weekend testing with volunteers (or “voluntolds”), you know that process is taxing for everyone involved, and usually doesn’t even achieve the goal of a full normal load. Repeat after me: “Never again.” Look for an enterprise solution that enables you to test the target environment using your production workload, identify and resolve issues, and test again as often as necessary — all during the normal work week without disrupting the production environment.
  • Diagnostics — More than two thousand years ago, Heraclitus noted that the only constant in the world is change. That’s why, after your migration or upgrade is complete, your work won’t be done. You’ll need a tool that will help you monitor the health of your systems as they grow and change, quickly spot and resolve emerging problems, ideally, before users even notice anything was amiss.
  • SQL tuning — Finally, you need to be able to optimize the performance of your new environment. Look for an enterprise migration solution that will identify poorly performing SQL statements, automatically generate alternatives and test all of the options against your data so you can choose the best option for your environment.

Together, these four critical features will help you deliver a highly performing target environment that management and users alike will consider a success — with far less time and effort on your part. That’s a win-win if ever I saw one.

To learn more, please read our new e-book, “Simplify Your Migrations and Upgrades: Part 2: Choosing a fool-proof method and toolset.”

Steven Phillips

About Steven Phillips

With over 15 years in marketing, I have led product marketing for a wide range of products in the database and analytics space. I have been with Dell for over 3 years in marketing, and I’m currently the product marketing manager for SharePlex. As data helps drive the new economy, I enjoy writing articles that showcase how organizations are dealing with the onslaught of data and focusing on the fundamentals of data management.

View all posts by Steven Phillips | Twitter