In my first blog in this series, I argued that the key to keeping a resolution is developing a strategy. In the second blog, I argued that it’s critical to think beyond old the old approaches and tools that have failed you in the past.

Photo Credit:  TBYH Licensed under CC BY 2.0

Today, I’m going to add another piece of the “success with resolutions” puzzle: thinking holistically. Consider some of your previous New Year’s resolutions. To illustrate my point, I’m going to pick losing weight because it’s a resolution so many people make without much success year after year, but you can plug in whatever resolution speaks to you. I’m willing to bet much of what I have to say will apply.

What do people who succeed with a resolution do differently than folks who fail? As we’ve seen, having a strategy is critical. But not just any strategy will do. The strategy needs to be holistic. For example, these are all specific steps towards weight loss that are better than a vague goal:

• Walk at least 10,000 steps a day.
  • Eliminate sugary soft drinks.
  • Don’t eat while watching TV.

Faithfully implementing any of these might help you lose some weight. But how much more powerful would they be in concert, each reinforcing the other and picking up the slack if one goes awry? In fact, the best way to achieve and maintain a healthy weight is to take a holistic approach: both adopt a healthy diet and incorporate exercise into our daily lives. In this “new normal” existence, any setback is just that, a setback, and not a disaster.

It’s the same with Oracle migrations and upgrades: A holistic approach simply delivers better results. Specifically, enterprise solutions based on near real-time replication enable you to stand up a complete replica of your production systems, perform the migration or upgrade on the replica during normal work hours, discover and remediate issues, and thoroughly test functionality and scalability — all before you go live with the new system. When you’re satisfied with the new environment, simply switch to it.

In addition to eliminating expensive downtime and all those weekends in the office, an enterprise solution offers resiliency that traditional point solutions and native tools lack. With native tools, if a problem comes to light after the migration or upgrade is complete, the organization stands to lost all the new transactions that have been processed under the new system — perhaps only a few hours’ worth, but possibly much more, since an important issue might not be discovered for days. With near real-time replication, you can keep the old and new environments in sync before, during and after the switch, so if critical problems ever do come to light in the new environment, you can seamlessly revert to the old system without data loss.

Even better, such enterprise tools are available today, and they’ve been tested and proven by real-world organizations like yours. But before you go shopping, be sure to read my next blog, where I’ll detail the specific features you’ll want to look for.

Also be sure to take a look at our new e-book, “Simplify Your Migrations and Upgrades: Part 2: Choosing a fool-proof method and toolset.”

Steven Phillips

About Steven Phillips

With over 15 years in marketing, I have led product marketing for a wide range of products in the database and analytics space. I have been with Dell for over 3 years in marketing, and I’m currently the product marketing manager for SharePlex. As data helps drive the new economy, I enjoy writing articles that showcase how organizations are dealing with the onslaught of data and focusing on the fundamentals of data management.

View all posts by Steven Phillips | Twitter