Shawn Rogers, Joanna Schloss, and Paul Hiller joined the #ThinkChat to discuss IoT’s effect on Manufacturing.  What does it mean to your business?  How is IoT used day to day? What barriers exist in the adoption of IoT in manufacturing?  And More!  Check out the recap below of some of the highlights!

Thanks for joining the conversation, and don't forget to mark your calendar for our next #ThinkChat on December 4th at 11:00 AM PST.  We'll be discussing how technology has transformed retailing during the holidays!  Follow #ThinkChat on Twitter and join in!

View the whole #ThinkChat on Twitter

What does IoT mean to you and your business?

From Shawn:

• “IoT "means" new avenues to data driven innovation. Higher levels of value from  analytics.  It also "means" new challenges to security and infrastructure. IoT is very exciting! I think industrial IoT is a bigger opportunity than the consumer side. Real value for enterprise insights."

From Jo:

• “IoT for me still means all devices that are connected to the Internet-which includes mobile phones, smart watches, and ATMs.  It is also a realization of value for the existing infra-structure investments.”

From Paul:

• “Business perspective of IoT kinda like dating, nervous: "Do I want to spend the rest of my life with her?"

From the Community:

• “By itself, IoT will provide some interesting products and services and business processes, but more is needed…” @JAdP
  • “P2… cross-industry solution spaces addressed only by the convergence of IoT with data management and analytics DMA…” @JAdP
  • “P3 … sensor analytics ecosystems SAE with communities and marketplaces for data and insights will form IoT DMA” @JAdP
  • “P4 IoT will have huge impact on design, manufacturing and logistics” @JAdP

What does IoT mean to you and your business?

From Shawn:

• “IoT manufacturing is a deep opportunity. End to end data to drive quality and optimization is a great use case. Presents opportunity for companies to understand the life cycle of their products. Will they use that data for good or for evil?”
  • “Product quality assurance is more granular than the past. Easier to spot/predict issues & avoid downtime.”

From Jo:

• “Dell Gateways & other high tech fabs use IoT to connect systems to processes creating RT feedback loop.”

From Paul:

• “Product quality assurance can be much more granular than in the past. Easier to spot/predict issues & avoid downtime.”

From the Community:

• @GTNexus great example of manufacturing IoT with slant towards the deliver end of supply chain.” @StevnPhillips
  • “IoT already commonly applied to manufacturing for remote monitoring, increasingly 4 warranty/SLA mngt. Cost savings=ROI->adoption” @chris_rommel
  • “In almost every market vertical, we have seen customer use cases for IoT data and Sensor Analytics.  @JAdP
  • “Advances in pharmaceuticals going from research to production was only possible due to real-time Sensor Analytics” @JAdP

On the day to day, how do you use IoT?

From Shawn:

• “Best way into #IoT is to enhance or optimize existing processes. No need to reinvent. Building automation, Manufacturing are two great places to start IoT.”

From Jo:

• People interact with IoT-unbeknownst to them with Mobile delivery of coupons, mobile payment plans, and of course SOCIAL Media...staying connected with people, institutions, and personal interests and data. IoT is pervasive.”

From Paul:

• “@DellBigData @shawnrog but competitors' IoT ecosystems will come knocking on your factory door. Gotta answer it.”

From the Community:

• “To forecast weather to place big bets on orange & pork belly futures. IoT bigdata for Trading Places.” @chris_rommel
  • “Future looking: agile design will create one-off custom versions matching my environment and duty-cycle…” @JAdP
  • “… with such one-offs CAD file being delivered to my 3Dprinting closet at home or work…” @JAdP
  • “For today, I just wonder why my health monitor and its app are so dependent on the Cloud with no Edge analytics.” @JAdP

Are there any barriers to the adoption of IoT in manufacturing?

From Shawn:

• “IoT presents similar challenges as most IT projects. Must have scope control, defined goals and start small. IoT needs end to end infrastructure, security and edge analytics. Without them it lacks flexibility to perform.”

From Jo:

• “Currently the barriers are many - but the top ones to consider are dollars, people, and existing infrastructure.  Dollars - manufacturers need to have the money and services to revamp and assess the existing technology.”

From the Community:

• “Cultures of conservatism and long deployment/design-in cycles are biggest barrier to IoT in manufacturing. Patience over hype.” @chris_rommel
  • “Incumbency and inertia will always stymie innovation.” @chris_rommel

What exactly is connectivity?  Is the IoT always “on” or can things connect themselves temporarily?

From Shawn:

• “IoT connectivity is driven by the devices on the edge, some are on all the time, some are smarter.”

From Jo:

From the Community:

• “IoT Connectivity is the first step in IoT and casual connectivity is still the norm.” @JAdP
  • “One difference in IoT today is that connectivity is more likely to on-demand, when needed, not when available.” @JAdP

What is the difference between “Internet of Things” and “many things with communicative apps?

From Shawn:

• It’s the sensors and the data types that make the difference between IoT and application data.”

From Jo:

• “IoT is Hardware+Software for a non-specific use case whereas apps are software+specific use case on non-specific hardware.”

From the Community:

• “It’s less about communication and more about the data being collected and analyzing it for greater effect http://bit.ly/1QuMDDI …” @Joshoward
  • “First we need to consider the difference between simply connected and connected sensors that truly communicate via #M@M” @JAdP

For more information on IoT in Manufacturing, download our White Paper, "Key Considerations for Analytics Platforms in Regulated Manufacturing".  See you December 4th for our next #ThinkChat!