In my last two blog posts about agile development of database applications, I have made a big mistake:

Photo Credit: davidd Licensed under CC BY 2.0

I’ve used memorable, inspirational scenes and quotations from the Fast & Furious movies, hoping they would encourage you to read our new e-book, Three Guiding Principles to Build Better Code with Development Software. The movies seemed like a good tie-in to improving productivity fast & furiously on your development team.

But you know what our web guys told me? Most of you have gone straight from our blog posts to YouTube to watch Fast & Furious trailers of cars crashing into helicopters, driving through exploding airplanes and running into stacks of propane canisters. Some of you aren’t even downloading the e-book.

Fine thing, when I’m trying to get you to focus on agile development of your database applications.

So this time I’m going to write seriously about increasing code quality and performance, with a few top-of-mind questions for all database developers:

• How could Furious 7 be so successful when it lost one of its stars before they’d finished shooting? – Talk about quality and performance issues. Director James Wan had to retool several aspects of the movie on the fly, work in a tribute to Paul Walker and change the future of the franchise. All you have to do is improve performance, and you can get access to tools that show you how to tune code and SQL statements to boost efficiency and overall quality.
  • Obviously, Brian O’Conner won’t be back. But could we see a new O’Conner brother step into his shoes? – If you think change management applies only to database development, try making a movie sometime. Smart writers may figure out a way for one of Paul’s brothers to play Brian’s younger brother, but like smart developers, they have to consider the ripple effects of a change like that. Look for code mapping tools that let you visualize dependencies and relationships graphically, and then prevent the unintended consequences of a code change.
  • Are we going to see more of Mia in Fast 8? How will she fit in if Brian isn’t there? – More important, how will Jordana Brewster fit Fast 8 into her increasingly busy film schedule? She has less time to review scripts than you have to review code. At least you can use development tools that automate time-consuming code reviews, flag coding violations on the fly and give you a dashboard-level overview of your work. Jordana, not so much.
  • What will Deckard Shaw do in Fast 8? – Do you really want to see Jason Statham be the bad guy in two consecutive movies? Maybe he’ll see the light and join Dom’s team. After all, business initiatives change and new development methods emerge. For you, that means staying ahead of the curve with products that get updated frequently. For Statham . . . well, we won’t know quite what that means until the next movie comes out.

In the same way that you want to increase code quality and performance, the Fast & Furious team wants to get all the moving parts in sync for a great Fast 8. Will Eva Mendes come back as Agent Fuentes? Where in New York City will the movie take place? Are they really going to find a role for Helen Mirren?

I don’t know.

And I need to get back to work. You do, too.

Increasing code quality and performance – New e-book

So this time, be sure to download and read our new e-book, Three Guiding Principles to Build Better Code with Development Software BEFORE you bounce off to the Fast & Furious videos on YouTube.

The e-book contains guidelines on what to look for in software tools you can use to build your own database applications.

Josh Howard

About Josh Howard

Josh Howard is a Worldwide Product Marketing Manager for Dell’s Information Management Group focused on database, business intelligence and big data analytics solutions. Josh has been with the Dell product team since 2010 where he leads the go-to-market strategies for Dell’s Toad™ product portfolio.You can follow Josh on Twitter at @joshoward or LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/in/joshoward/

View all posts by Josh Howard | Twitter