Configuring Dell PowerEdge VRTX shared storage for VMware vSphere Environment - White Papers - TechCenter Extras - Dell Community

TechCenter Extras

TechCenter Extras
Dell Technical solutions information on various topics, hosted on the Dell TechCenter IT community platform

Configuring Dell PowerEdge VRTX shared storage for VMware vSphere Environment

This document is intended to assist end-users in deploying VMware® ESXi on Dell™ PowerEdge™ VRTX server nodes managed by Dell Chassis Management Controller (CMC). This paper details about setting up PowerEdge VRTX for a cluster environment w.r.t VMware ESXi. VRTX combines blade server nodes and shared storage. The blade server nodes supported on VRTX are PowerEdge M620 and PowerEdge M520 at its launch.

The VMware ESXi version supported on the blade server nodes for PowerEdge VRTX is 5.1 Update1. The process for deploying VMware ESXi on Dell PowerEdge VRTX server nodes is similar to installing the software on other supported Dell PowerEdge servers. Additionally, more detailed instructions for installing ESXi on Dell PowerEdge systems can be found at Dell.com/virtualizationsolutions and within the Dell PowerEdge Deployment Guide for VMware ESXi 5.This paper is divided into two sections of which the first section talks about setting up VRTX shared storage. The second section details about accessing the shared storage to individual blade servers installed with VMware ESXi.

NOTE: Installing VMware ESXi on the Dell PowerEdge VRTX shared storage is not supported.

Comments
  • Configuring Dell PowerEdge VRTX shared storage for VMware vSphere Environment

Document is corrupt but I REALLY need to read it!

Thanks for notifying. The document is uploaded again. Please  download from this link again.

This is not working for me. I can´t see the shared storage in vSphere Client.

Hello, Thanks for reading the paper. Could you please provide the below details ?

1. What's the ESXi build # used ? if you can provide the download location of the build downloaded, it would be useful.

2. provide the below command outputs from the blades connected to VRTX.

a) esxcli storage core adapter list

b) esxcfg-scsidevs -l

3. Provide the log file /var/run/log/vmkernel* log files

3)

tFirst of all thank you for the fast answer. My buildnumber is  ESXi 5.5.0 build-1331820, and it´s not the DELL custom image because I need 5.5. (maybe you know about rumors about a release date for DELL 5.5.x)

The CLI outputs are here www.sucherautist.de/cli_output.txt

Thanks a lot

Marcel

Please use the Dell Customized ESXi 5.5 A02 image from the below link. www.dell.com/.../driverdetails

This image contains the driver for the shared storage and with this you should be able to configure the VRTX shared storage. Let me know if it works.

Please ignore my earlier comment. I thought you were looking for Dell Customized ESXi 5.1 Update1.

Dell PowerEdge VRTX is not yet supported for ESXi 5.5. Only ESXi 5.1 Update1 is supported as of now. The supported version of ESXi 5.5 for VRTX would be available some time next year (~June ). Will keep you posted

OK thank you so far. I tried to install the vmware driver for ESXi 5.1 and it worked for me. I don´t know how stable this solution would be but for now this works for me.

When you say 5.1, I assume you are using Dell Customized VMware ESXi 5.1 Update1 A01 or A02 revisions right ? These are images are tested for VRTX and it's stable.

No i´m using esx 5.5 with perc8 drivers for 5.1.

OK. That's NOT a tested combination. I will not recommend to use that combination for production purposes.

So this is the good part. it´s for demo purposes only.