Configuring stateless boot using Dell customized VMware ESXi 5.0 - White Papers - TechCenter Extras - Dell Community

TechCenter Extras

TechCenter Extras
Dell Technical solutions information on various topics, hosted on the Dell TechCenter IT community platform

Configuring stateless boot using Dell customized VMware ESXi 5.0

The following Dell technical white paper is written by Krishnaprasad K, Kiran Poluri and Nihad Nizar from Dell Hypervisor Engineering team.

This document talks about creation of Dell customized VMware ESXi offline image depot from VMware online ESXi depot. This paper also covers configuring stateless boot of the thus created Dell customized VMware ESXi offline image depot using VMware vSphere Auto Deploy software. This document is intended to give users a good understanding on setting up stateless boot using Dell customized VMware ESXi offline image depot right from scratch.

Comments
  • Configuring stateless boot using Dell customized VMware ESXi 5.0

How can we include the Broadcom Driver for the Embedded Daughter card on 12G Servers? Everything seems to point to using Dell's Custom image, but there is no SoftwareDepot for the image to inject OMSA, Emulex CIM, EMC Supported Emulex Driver Versions.

Thoughts?

Hello, Dell don't post a custom ESXi offline depot. As it's mentioned in the white paper, either you need to use VMware online depot or offline depot (can be downloaded from www.vmware.com/download) for injecting drivers.

Thanks,

Krishnaprasad

Hi, I missed a point earlier. The drivers for all the supported Broadcom peripherals are already included in Dell Customized ISO images. Do you see any issues with your Embedded Daughter card on 12G servers running ESXi?

Just a thought, unless i'm missing something, but say you have a host setup (installed using a Dell customised ESXi ISO (aka VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0.update01-1065491.x86_64-Dell_Customized_RecoveryCD_A00.iso) and I'm wondering if there is a way to create a image from an existing host (so that it has the drivers in use in there based off this host) without the need to make a special offline bundle for the same purpose?

Hi, Thanks for reading the post. Unfortunately we dont have a mechanism available from VMware to create a depot file from a running ESXi machine. I'll double check though.

Seems i need to learn to search more... ;)

my.vmware.com/.../details

:D

Note that the images posted @ my.vmware.com/.../details are not Dell customized images.

Yeah, realised after I posted it, but didnt have a way to delete my post and then forgot to put an additional note ;)

Is a Offline Bundle for each model something Dell can do when they make their customised model specific ISO's? would probably save a bunch of time for the rest of us if so :)

I agree with you on that. Unfortunately we have few legal issues in posting the customized offline bundle. However i will take this again internally to see if we can do something about it.