my dell inpiron 15 (new) windows 8 camera isn't working. - General Discussion (Retired/Read Only) - TechCenter Extras - Dell Community

my dell inpiron 15 (new) windows 8 camera isn't working.

TechCenter Extras

TechCenter Extras
Dell Technical solutions information on various topics, hosted on the Dell TechCenter IT community platform

my dell inpiron 15 (new) windows 8 camera isn't working.

This question is not answered

i've read the same problem, and solutions

i tried it, but it doesn't work,

i need help please! i really need the webcam.

All Replies
  • Hi cklives,

Could you please elaborate the issue?
    What exactly happens when you try to access the webcam?
    Do you get any error message?

Windows 8 usually does not require any application. You can access the 'Camera' app from the start screen. In case you are not able to see the 'Camera' app on the start screen, you can download it from 'Windows Store Apps'.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• @DELL-APPU S

i have the application, 

when i open it, it only shows 'connect the webcam,'

the first time i used it, it was working but the next days that's what it shows..

• Hi cklives,

Thank you for the response. Please try the following steps.

Please check under 'Imaging Devices' in 'Device Manager' and see if the Integrated webcam gets detected. To check webcam in 'Device Manager':

• Press and hold the Windows key + R to open run window.
    • Type 'devmgmt.msc' without the parenthesis, click ok to open Device Manager window
    • Click on “Device Manager”.
    • Under “Imaging Devices”, you will find the 'Webcam' listed.
    • Right click and uninstall. 
    • Restart and see if it makes any difference. 

If issue persists, you may uninstall the USB root hubs and check if it makes any difference. To uninstall USB Root Hubs:

• Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’
    • From the list, look for ‘USB Root Hub’
    • Right click, choose ‘Uninstall’, choose ‘Ok’
    • Uninstall all ‘USB Root Hub’ listed
    • Wait for all the drivers to get uninstalled
    • Restarted the computer
    • Restarting the computer will install ‘USB Root Hub’s automatically on the computer

You may press the area near webcam and see if it makes any difference. This is to check if there is an issue with loose webcam cable.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• DELL-APPU S

there's no imaging device there,

• Hi cklives,

Thank you for the response. Please try uninstalling USB Root hubs as suggested in my previous post. Also, try pressing near the webcam on the LCD bezel and check if that helps.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• do you have any webcam installer?

• Hi cklives,

If there is no Imaging Devices in Device Manager, then installing any webcam application would not fix the issue. Would request you to perform the steps as shared in my previous post and share the findings.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• it doesn't work as well,

• Hi cklives,

If you have performed the troubleshooting steps as suggested and still the webcam is not detected, then it point towards a hardware failure and the webcam may have to be replaced.

You may provide the service tag of the computer and the first and last name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Send a Private Message) so that I can check the further course of action.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• replace? wow, i just bought this, 

dell is so awesome, 

a new dell  with failure,

:(

• Even i find the similar problem. Below are the symptoms i have observed

1. Skype, gtalk, FB cant recognise Webcam

2. External webcam via usb too not recognised

3. if i click camera app (via search) - it says connect camera

4. under Device manager - no image device tab

What more problem a brand new dell inspiron 15 laptop can give?