Dell PowerEdge T110 II Raid 1 - General Discussion (Retired/Read Only) - TechCenter Extras - Dell Community

Dell PowerEdge T110 II Raid 1

TechCenter Extras

TechCenter Extras
Dell Technical solutions information on various topics, hosted on the Dell TechCenter IT community platform

Dell PowerEdge T110 II Raid 1

This question has been answered by areamike

Hello,

A client recently purchased a Dell PowerEdge T110 II for us to install their server OS on.

When I received the server, it had 2 500GB HDD's and RAID1 on the PERC S100 Controller was NOT setup yet. After about an hour of googling for instructions on how to setup  RAID1, I eventually I limped through it.

In the Software RIAD setup, the two drives show under Physical Drives and are "Ready"

Under Virtual Disks the RAID 1 500GB is listed that I created. All seems well.

HOWEVER, when I try to install the OS, both drives are showing up during the install as available drives to install the OS on. I have dealt a little with RAID1 before, but in all other cases during the install of the OS, only one of the drives show up.

So why do I see both drives during the OS install? Is the RAID1 array not setup correctly?

Any insight would be helpful

Verified Answer
  • OK. I found my answer. PERC S100 Raid controller is not supported under Linux.

Thanks.

The continued issues with compatibility we have had over the last couple years with Dell Servers will prevent us from purchasing again.

All Replies
  • Could you tell us which OS do you want to install? Do you use the SBUU, so that you have the newest deployment driver?

• I'm installing Enterprise Linux 5. The default driver works with the controller card just fine. The problem is the RAID not being recognized by the Linux installer(it's seeing both drives). Or it is not setup correctly in the PERC S100 configuration screen.

• Also, I am not using the SBUU. The one that came with the server is for Windows only. I tried to download the SBUU for Linux but the tar file contains no instructions for building the boot disk so it's pretty useless.

• OK. I found my answer. PERC S100 Raid controller is not supported under Linux.

Thanks.

The continued issues with compatibility we have had over the last couple years with Dell Servers will prevent us from purchasing again.

• I'm happy that you found your answer but it's no comp. issues. Dell Says that only Windows is Supported with S-Series Controllers.

I'm sry that you have had issues in the past too.