11Gen Poweredge - R710 (2U) and R610 (1U)

TechCenter Extras

TechCenter Extras
Dell Technical solutions information on various topics, hosted on the Dell TechCenter IT community platform

11Gen Poweredge - R710 (2U) and R610 (1U)

• Hi everyone!

I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find any buzz about the upcoming next generation servers R610 and R710 that will replace 1950 and 2950. Sporting brand new chipsets and Nehalem-EP (Gainestown) Xeon X5500-series cpu:s.

Release dates? Looks like mid-to-late March.
    Memory slots? The 2U R710 seems to have all 18 possible memory slots for DDR3 REG/ECC.
    NICs? Probably 2 or 4, hoping for 4 since it would really help in virtualization scenarios.
    Harddrive trays? Hoping for 2.5" default with 3.5" as an option.

I'm sure you guys have some rumors sprinkled with some of your own wishes as well. Seems like Dell can't disclose that much yet but then again I could be wrong?

Regards,

Andreas Erson

Regards,

Andreas Erson

• Yeah, funny how they won't let me talk about Nehalem, bu tI sure can find my customers and others talking about it :-) ... just the way this industry goes. I can tell you, that I can't tell you.

You're pretty close on the guesses. Memory slots is right on the R710, 12 on the R610. 4 X TOE Nics on each, not sure if TOE is enabled or feature key - don't quote me on that. 3.5" is pretty much dead in the 1U space, so don't expect to see it in the R610, but alive and kicking as an option on the R710.

... and what's this ? 8GB dimms, sheesh, who would have thought I'd live to see the day :-)
  • Thanks Scott!

I'm glad that they went with 4x LOM NICs on both models. No more need for that extra dual/quad PCIe NIC.

Regarding harddrives we're apparently looking at 6x 2.5" on the R610 and 8x 2.5"(?) on the R710 (and probably 6x 3.5" as the option). Fine about the R610 but no change on R710 bugs me a bit. I would have liked more trays here. It should be perfectly doable size-wise (supermicro cases proves the point), but I'm guessing that Dell wants to pitch the DAS for those wanting more. And the DAS (or iSCSI) of course have some other advantages as well (price isn't one though).

Scott, 8GB dimms have been available for quite some time for the 1950/2950. Maybe you meant 16GB? Apparently the Xeon 5500-series maxes out at 288GB which would be 18 slots with 16GB dimms (and an empty wallet). It's somewhat hard to find any 4GB (or above) DDR3 REG/ECC today but I assume that will sort itself rather quickly as soon as the Xeon 5500-series are released.

Can the R610/R710 handle unbuffered memory?
    Can we expect the usual PERC/6 controllers?
    Will there be an SSD option?

Looking forward to the day when we can put all those IOPS on the SSDs to good use in a storage array. Guess that will take some time though.

Regards,

Andreas Erson

Regards,

Andreas Erson

• Yeah, apparently this thread got spidered by Google (our Google juice has been pretty low on the site - so I thought we were under the radar) .... meaning that a couple of goons came by the lab and roughed me up a little bit for talking about this stuff that is still under NDA. My lips are still sore from the duct tape, so I'm going to have to cease and desist from any further replies.

I hope you understand :-)