PowerVault MD3220 array configuration for ESXi 4.1 - General Discussion (Retired/Read Only) - TechCenter Extras - Dell Community

PowerVault MD3220 array configuration for ESXi 4.1

TechCenter Extras

TechCenter Extras
Dell Technical solutions information on various topics, hosted on the Dell TechCenter IT community platform

PowerVault MD3220 array configuration for ESXi 4.1

• Hi all expertise,

I have a MD3220 with 24 x 1T. I am about to make a decision on the Array configuration. Below is my setup and I would like to have some expertis comment see if it is an reasonable setup. Any comment or suggestion are welcome as I am newB in storage area.

Diskgroup = 2
    Physical disk in each diskgroup = 11
    Raid level = raid 6
    Hot Spare = 2

The LUNs are cut into 2T for ESXi VMFS sharing between 3 hosts. Data Availablity and size available are both important to cater the growth of VMs until 2014 which is about 14.7T. I should have budget in 2013 for an MD1220 for expansion but it is not subject to be must as you might aware the global economy.
  • Many here would probably say "no" to that config. But in my experiences with Powervault arrays and slow drives? Put a bunch of them in the DG and performance is OK with them. I'd probably configure it the same way you are.