PowerConnect 6224 VLAN question (iSCSI SAN) - General Discussion (Retired/Read Only) - TechCenter Extras - Dell Community

PowerConnect 6224 VLAN question (iSCSI SAN)

TechCenter Extras

TechCenter Extras
Dell Technical solutions information on various topics, hosted on the Dell TechCenter IT community platform

PowerConnect 6224 VLAN question (iSCSI SAN)

• I have a MD3220i connected to 2 PowerConnect 6224 switches. The switches are connected to a Hyper-V cluster of 2 R610s.
    I also want to run Live Migration traffic over these switches.
    The connections are done just the same way as shown on p14 of the MD3220i getting started guide (or here http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/md3200i/en/DG/HTML/hardware.htm#wp1181522 fig Figure 2-7. 32 Servers Connected to Two Controllers). This uses 4 different subnets for iSCSI connections - 2 on each server crossing over to make 2 on each switch.

Does that mean that I need 4 VLANS on the switches for iSCSI?
  • without going too deep into your question:

4 subnets = 4 vlans

We have a dell md3000i (actually a couple of them) and we have 4 separate switches each running it's own VLAN/subnet for our legacy iscsi traffic

Regards,
    Blake
  • "4 subnets = 4 vlans

"
    See, this is where it gets confusing for us vm noobs ;)

Trawling around various forums and online tech communities and you get just as many people saying "No, you don't need seperate vLANs, just seperate subnets is fine" as you do people who say "yes, you need seperate vLANs!" lol ;)

Is it critical to have the subnets also wrapped up in seperate vLANs if you have two segregated switches dedicated to iSCSI traqffic?? as per the OP's post? Like the OP I also have 2x 5424's that are soley used for iSCSI traffic. I have also setup my MD3200i as per the Dell setup guide ie

C0P0: 192.168.1.1 C1P0: 192.168.1.2 SW1
    C0P1: 192.168.2.1 C1P1: 192.168.2.2 SW2
    C0P2: 192.168.3.1 C1P2: 192.168.3.2 SW1
    C0P3: 192.168.4.1 C1P3: 192.168.4.2 SW2

Does that NEED to be wrapped up in seperate vLANs as well?? I'd b ekeen to hear the responses and reasoning...and maybe a bit of an 'Official' word from Dell??
  • "See, this is where it gets confusing for us vm noobs ;)

Trawling around various forums and online tech communities and you get just as many people saying "No, you don't need seperate vLANs, just seperate subnets is fine" as you do people who say "yes, you need seperate vLANs!" lol ;)

Is it critical to have the subnets also wrapped up in seperate vLANs if you have two segregated switches dedicated to iSCSI traqffic?? as per the OP's post? Like the OP I also have 2x 5424's that are soley used for iSCSI traffic. I have also setup my MD3200i as per the Dell setup guide ie

C0P0: 192.168.1.1 C1P0: 192.168.1.2 SW1
    C0P1: 192.168.2.1 C1P1: 192.168.2.2 SW2
    C0P2: 192.168.3.1 C1P2: 192.168.3.2 SW1
    C0P3: 192.168.4.1 C1P3: 192.168.4.2 SW2

Does that NEED to be wrapped up in seperate vLANs as well?? I'd b ekeen to hear the responses and reasoning...and maybe a bit of an 'Official' word from Dell??"
    I am going to say yes... You need 4 separate Vlans. I am even worse.. I use a separate physical set of switches for each subnet on my iSCSI traffic.

I think it has to do with the way general congestion happens on either the same subnet or the same Vlan with ethernet. Only additional thing? Your ARP tables in the switches will be very messy, which leads to the possibility poorer performance if you run all those different subnets on the same lan / vlan.

I have crashed some pretty high end Cisco switches doing such things in heavy traffic. Cisco support says not to do it as well.
  • I'm going to contradict my above post.....

I took a look at my ISCSI Switches where i used a 2 switch model (we have 2 different Iscsi SAN Networks - Legacy and New). We are running different subnets and not different VLANs (4 subnets, 2 switches). As i said in my previous post, for my legacy iscsi solution with the Dell MD3000i, we have a 4 switch model with 4 separate subnets/vlans

So, i think the answer is that you can do it both ways depending on the recommended specs from the SAN manufacturer and the number of switches you can throw at it. Physically separate is definately the way to go if you can....
  • A nice official Dell repsonse would be nice - for the MDxxxx series - just so we all know the best practice for these devices ;)