Dell OMSA 6.5 Stops Working on ESXi 5 Until Server Rebooted - General Discussion (Retired/Read Only) - TechCenter Extras - Dell Community

Dell OMSA 6.5 Stops Working on ESXi 5 Until Server Rebooted

TechCenter Extras

TechCenter Extras
Dell Technical solutions information on various topics, hosted on the Dell TechCenter IT community platform

Dell OMSA 6.5 Stops Working on ESXi 5 Until Server Rebooted

• We have several Dell PowerEdges running ESXi 5 (build 469512) and have successfully installed Dell's OMSA 6.5. After installation we are able to access ESXi via OpenManage. However, after an unknown period of time we lose the ability to access ESX via OpenManage. Login attempts eventually just timeout. Also, the VI Client shows unknown for all devices listed in Health Status. If we reset sensors the task just hangs with a status of In Progress. We also confirmed the CIMvmw_OpenManage provider value is set to 1. If we reboot the PowerEdge ESX server we can login again via Dell OM and the Health Status of all devices within the VI Client returns to normal. We've experience these symptoms on 3 different PowerEdge servers running ESX 5.

I realize Dell hasn't released an OMSA that officially supports ESXi 5, but they have said 6.5 should work with a few caveats. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and has a potential workaround. Its critical we have a functioning OMSA but I am reluctant to install ESX 4.1 on all of our new servers until Dell releases OMSA 7.
  • Hi, sorry we didn't catch this thread earlier.  The best place to post questions about OMSA is in the:

Dell TechCenter Systems Management forum 

You probably already know, but OpenManage Server Administrator 6.5 A02 has been released and is now available at :

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1977.aspx