Kong Yang   Hello everyone!
Lance Boley Welcome everyone ...
Kong Yang Hey LB! Welcome back from DellSF12!
Lance Boley Thanks Kong, it was a great event ...
Lance Boley I am going to give everyone a few more minutes
Lance Boley Alright, I think we will get this started ...
Lance Boley Today we are going to talk about the EqualLogic PS M4110 blade array.
Lance Boley We have some experts on hand to answer questions
Lance Boley I guess first off, has everyone here had a chance to see the new array?
Farouk on youtube only
Christy Pooler dell.com/bladearray is the landing page with videos as well
Lance Boley Thanks Christy ...
Lance Boley So from what you have seen so far, what do you think about this new array?
rpenhale looks good and from our point of view integrating the storage into the blade center is hugely helpful due to very limited rack space
Christy Pooler @rpenhale - nice, this is what we were thinking when planning this product/blade array solutions set
rpenhale a question we have is we have an M1000e bought in 2009 almost immediately after launch but our Dell rep thinks our blade center may not be compatible as there may be issues with PSU and Midspan cards, can anyone shed any light on this please?
Christy Pooler we understand rack space and of course any data center space is hard to come by
rolltidega hey everyone
Farouk quick question - I'm a first timer to one of these sessions, are there any presentations or audio?
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale the blade array can be configured for either fabric A or fabric B. Fabric A cannot be configured for the oldest generation M1000e chassis. However there is a midplane upgrade kit available to let you do that. Fabric B can be configured for ALL M
Lance Boley @Farouk, we have audio and slides form time to time, but nothing on deck for today, just the chat.
Farouk so let me understand this, will I be able to insert the PS M4110 blades intoan existing M1000e chassis?
ShankyAtDell @Farouk Yes
ShankyAtDell The Blade array can fit into any M1000e chassis and work with PowerEdge 11G as well as 12G Blade servers
ShankyAtDell The server and storage blades can be inserted into any slot within the M1000e chassis giving you total flexibility
Farouk the only thing that is required apart from the EQL is a midplane upgrade?
rpenhale @shankyatdell thanks for this, do you have a part number for this kit and an idea of cost? Presumably we will need to upgrade PSU's at well?
Farouk The PS M4100 takes up 2 blade chassis.  How many are supported in a chassis?
ShankyAtDell @Farouk. Midplane upgrade is required ONLY if you have the oldest generation M1000e chassis with version 1.0 midplane and you want to configure Fabric A for the blade array. You DONOT need midplane upgrade if you already have newer M1000e chassis or if yo
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale the product is targeted to ship in Dell Q3. We dont have part numbers yet
Christy Pooler @faraouk - you can have 2 blade arrays in a group and up to 4 blade arrays in a M1000e chassis
PhilW Is there any advantage to getting the midplane upgrade if the unit works on Fabric B?
Farouk can I connect the PS M4110 array to an existing storage group?
Christy Pooler you can scale outside the blade chassis to external EqualLogic groupd
ShankyAtDell @PhilW if you are using Fabric B, then there is no need to upgrade midplane
ShankyAtDell @Farouk yes, you can join the Blade array to your existing storage group either by directly connecting the existing EqualLogic arrays to the blade chassis switch or via a top of rack switch connected to the blade chassis
Farouk do we obtain a performance advantage by connecting to a PS M4110 over a normal PS6100?
ShankyAtDell @Farouk The blade array is designed to help in consolidation, power, cabling, administration savings etc for better total cost of ownership. You will not see performance advantage with the Blade Array versus traditional EqualLogic arrays
Farouk sorry meant PS4110
Christy Pooler @Farouk - the PSM4110 inherits the same capabilities as the PS4110
rpenhale can the equalogic be connected via 1Gb ethernet, or does it require 10Gb? the reson I ask is we only have ethernet passthroughs in our bladecenter at present, so initially to save may leave this upgrade until later?
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale the EqualLogic blade array is a 10G array. You need a 10G blade switch or passthrough
Farouk should we be expecting a modular PS6110 in the near future?
Christy Pooler Some of the drive configurations will be different PS-M4110 E, for high capacity with 500GB or 1TB SATA drives - PS M4110X, 600Gb and 900GB 10K SAS - PS-M4110 XV, 15K SAS 146GB and 300 GB
Farouk so no XVS or XS at the moment?
Christy Pooler and PSM4110 XS Hybrid 10K SAS 600GB and SSD 400 GB
ShankyAtDell @Farouk Thats a great question. We dont have a PS-M6110 in the roadmap yet. But we are seeing great response for the PS-M4110 blade array from customers such as you and we are discussing what should be the next offering...
Christy Pooler yes, there is a Hybrid we are callingit the XS, as above
Farouk I'm assuming all the drives are 2.5"
PhilW @ShankyAtDell do you need to upgrade the interface cards as well or is just replacing the switch/passthrough enough?
ShankyAtDell @PhilW as long as you have a 10G card to work with the switches, you should be fine
ShankyAtDell everything is 10G from host to switch to target
Christy Pooler @Farouk - yes 2.5" drives for all blade arrays
Farouk Are there any features that are present today in the PS4110 that will not be available in the PS M4110
ShankyAtDell One small correction on the drives. We offer NL-SAS, SAS and SSD drives. No SATA
Christy Pooler @Farauk - all the features are the same across the equalLogic series, including PS-M4110 Blade array
Christy Pooler All inclusive software features- Firmware 6.0, SAN HQ, and HIT KIts for Vmware, Microsoft and Linux
Farouk in relation to management, how is this done?
rpenhale will the m1000e need firmware updates (CMC) to accomodate the equalogic?
ShankyAtDell @Farouk as soon as you insert the Blade Array into the M1000e chassis, the CMC automatically discovers the array. You can setup and deploy the array directly from the CMC Console. What you were able to do with RSW can now be done with CMC. Once you are do
Lance Boley We shot a quick video at Dell Storage Forum about management if you have not seen it you can watch it here - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2012/06/14/equallogic-ps-m4110-an-up-close-look-from-dell-storage-forum-2012-boston.aspx
ShankyAtDell @Farouk the CMC interface also provides you with alerts and events from the storage array
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale the EqualLogic Blade array requires CMC v4.11.
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale You can download CMC firmware from Dell website
rpenhale we are running 3.2 so is there a direct upgrade to 4.11?
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale I am not sure of the upgrade path for CMC firmware. Lance, can we get back to rpenhale on this?
Lance Boley 2 Sure, you might want to check the system management section on http://www.delltechcenter.com for upgrade steps and information as well.
rpenhale @ShankyAtDell could you also confirm the power supply requirements as I think the PSU's we currently have are not up to the task?
Lance Boley 2 I know we have put a lot into that area of the site over the past few months ...
rpenhale @Lance Boley 2  I will check this out thanks
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale I dont have the final power supply numbers yet. We will make it available for you on the Blade Array website closer to the shipment date of the product
Farouk how is the power consumption?
ShankyAtDell @Farouk I dont have the final power numbers yet. Like I mentioned above, we will make it available on our website closer to the shipment date of the product
Farouk it looks like this product is easy to self-install - are there any services that would be required?
ShankyAtDell We will have options for both onsite as well as remote install services available
rpenhale you mention q3 launch,  I work in a school in the UK and we would hope to have things in place ready for the start of the academic year at the beginning of September. Is this realistic?
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale first, we are seeing a huge interest for the blade array from schools and school districts among other customers. great to know that you are interested in this product. i dont understand what you mean by have things in place ready by early Septe
PhilW Is there a particular reason you can only have 2x M4110s in a storage group?
Farouk as this is an in-the-box solution - would there be a need to configure things like the switch (portfast, MTU size, flowcontrol, etc) as well as enabling flowcontrol and MTU on the host NIC? or am I asking for too much?
ShankyAtDell @PhilW M4110 is designed as a PS4xxx class of product and we allow only 2xPS4xxx in a group
PhilW So the rest of the group would be PS6xxxs  or higher?
ShankyAtDell  @Farouk These are valid questions; you are not asking too much:-) All configuration rules for switches apply to the blade switches as they apply to the rack switches
ShankyAtDell @PhilW thats right, You can have 2xPS4xxx and the rest PS6xxx
Farouk how would future code upgrades to the PS M4110 occur? Can this be done directly from the CMC?
ShankyAtDell @Farouk Firmware upgrade to the PS-M4110 will be done via the EqualLogic Group Manager like the way you do it for traditional arrays
rpenhale @ShankyAtDell what I meant is having the equipment installed and configured ready for use by staff and students on 3rd September, if you wont be shipping until September we wouldn't have this up and running ready for the start of term
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale We are working our best to start shipping end-August. But it may be early-September.
Farouk As in the Dell vStart solution, will Dell be providing best practices for various workloads with a configuration similar to this?
ShankyAtDell @Farouk we are working on a Reference Architecture for the Blade Array with Dell Blade servers and switches for workloads etc. I dont have a target date yet
rpenhale @ShankyAtDell no problem, its just good to be clear when the kit will ship so not to make promises that can't be delivered. I appeciate you will want this to ship as soon as realistically possible.
PhilW Are there any plans for higher density NL-SAS disks in the future? would the unit support them if they do become available?
Farouk am i correct in assuming there will be 2 nics per controller?
ShankyAtDell @PhilW We closely monitor the drive roadmap with our qualification testing cycles etc and make newer capacity drives available for all EqualLogic products
ShankyAtDell @Farouk Each controller has a 10G port. Each port has an active link and a standby link to the blade fabric for network redundancy.  So you have 2 ports and 4 links to the switches
Farouk so 4 links - 1 active and the other standby
Dell TechCenter We have just a couple minutes left for today
Farouk per controller
ShankyAtDell @Farouk. Thats right
Dell TechCenter Thanks everyone for joining today
Farouk tx
ShankyAtDell @Farouk. 4 links - 1 active and other standby for the array, for two controllers
rpenhale thanks for this very useful info
Dell TechCenter Join us next week as we talk about the Microsoft Private Cloud Fast Track with Dell
ShankyAtDell Great questions everyone. Thank you for participating
Christy Pooler Thank you all
ShankyAtDell You can follow me on twitter @ShankyAtDell
Kong Yang Hello everyone!
Lance Boley Welcome everyone ...
Kong Yang Hey LB! Welcome back from DellSF12!
Lance Boley Thanks Kong, it was a great event ...
Lance Boley I am going to give everyone a few more minutes
Lance Boley Alright, I think we will get this started ...
Lance Boley Today we are going to talk about the EqualLogic PS M4110 blade array.
Lance Boley We have some experts on hand to answer questions
Lance Boley I guess first off, has everyone here had a chance to see the new array?
Farouk on youtube only
Christy Pooler dell.com/bladearray is the landing page with videos as well
Lance Boley Thanks Christy ...
Lance Boley So from what you have seen so far, what do you think about this new array?
rpenhale looks good and from our point of view integrating the storage into the blade center is hugely helpful due to very limited rack space
Christy Pooler @rpenhale - nice, this is what we were thinking when planning this product/blade array solutions set
rpenhale a question we have is we have an M1000e bought in 2009 almost immediately after launch but our Dell rep thinks our blade center may not be compatible as there may be issues with PSU and Midspan cards, can anyone shed any light on this please?
Christy Pooler we understand rack space and of course any data center space is hard to come by
rolltidega hey everyone
Farouk quick question - I'm a first timer to one of these sessions, are there any presentations or audio?
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale the blade array can be configured for either fabric A or fabric B. Fabric A cannot be configured for the oldest generation M1000e chassis. However there is a midplane upgrade kit available to let you do that. Fabric B can be configured for ALL M
Lance Boley @Farouk, we have audio and slides form time to time, but nothing on deck for today, just the chat.
Farouk so let me understand this, will I be able to insert the PS M4110 blades intoan existing M1000e chassis?
ShankyAtDell @Farouk Yes
ShankyAtDell The Blade array can fit into any M1000e chassis and work with PowerEdge 11G as well as 12G Blade servers
ShankyAtDell The server and storage blades can be inserted into any slot within the M1000e chassis giving you total flexibility
Farouk the only thing that is required apart from the EQL is a midplane upgrade?
rpenhale @shankyatdell thanks for this, do you have a part number for this kit and an idea of cost? Presumably we will need to upgrade PSU's at well?
Farouk The PS M4100 takes up 2 blade chassis.  How many are supported in a chassis?
ShankyAtDell @Farouk. Midplane upgrade is required ONLY if you have the oldest generation M1000e chassis with version 1.0 midplane and you want to configure Fabric A for the blade array. You DONOT need midplane upgrade if you already have newer M1000e chassis or if yo
ShankyAtDell @rpenhale the product is targeted to ship in Dell Q3. We dont have part numbers yet
Christy Pooler @faraouk - you can have 2 blade arrays in a group and up to 4 blade arrays in a M1000e chassis
PhilW Is there any advantage to getting the midplane upgrade if the unit works on Fabric B?
Farouk can I connect the PS M4110 array to an existing storage group?