Please join the Dell TechCenter and our featured guests as we discuss Dell Virtual Integrated System (VIS) Creator.

This chat taken place on Tuesday, February 21st, at 3PM CDT. The chat portal is here.

Chat Transcript

Dell-KongY Hello Everyone!
Dell-KongY Today's chat topic is Dell Vis Creator!
Dell-KongY http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/virtual-integrated-system/w/wiki/2003.dell-viscreator.aspx
Bill Hello
Randy_VIS_SE Hello all
Dell-KongY We have Kailas, Tom B. and Tom H. from Dell as our featured guests.
Dell-KailasJ Hello everyone, my name is Kailas Jawadekar, Technical marketing Mgr for Dell Vis.
Dell-KongY Hi Lee and Michelle.
Tom_Baumgartner Hi all. Tom Baumgartner here, Outbound Marketing manager for Dell Vis Creator.
Dell-KailasJ I am focussed on Vis Creator, also working on spectre, and vstart as well.
Dell-KongY Hi mylvisaker, Daniel_bowers, isibulkin
mylvisaker Hi Kong
Dell-KongY So what is Vis Creator? :)
JasonPowell Diggin' the updated chat module! No problems connecting via Osx unlike before
Tom_Baumgartner Vis Creator, which is part of the Virtual Integrated System (vis) portfolio, provides
secure deployment and management of physical, virtual and cloud workloads - be they
private, public or hybrid cloud - removing bottlenecks to help speed It service delivery,
and improve business operations.
Dell-KongY Hi Don!
Dell-KongY Link to Vis Creator - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/virtual-integrated-system/w/wiki/2003.dell-vis-creator.aspx
Dell-KongY What are potential use cases for Vis Creator?
Dell-KongY And folks - this is an open forum so feel free to ask any and all questions around Dell
Vis Creator :)
Tom_Baumgartner Self-service It service delivery (aka Private Cloud delivery) is probably the top use case
we talk about
Don_Adams Afternoon folks, sorry I jumped in a little late.
Tom_Baumgartner others are workload lifecycle management (aka Vm Sprawl control), Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (vdi) management and delivery
Tom_Baumgartner and lab management (for test, dev and quality assurance)
Dell-KongY Welcome Todd, Robert and Shawn
Dell-KongY Please use Action-> Recent Room History to catch up on the proceedings
Dell-KongY Hi troyk
Tom_Baumgartner Vis Creator gives end users a single interface with a multi-vendor, self-service catalog of physical, virtual, private cloud and hybrid cloud resources to choose from for workload
delivery in minutes. Security policies help It ensure that users in a shared, multi-tenant infrastructure can choose only from resources authorized to them.
Tom_Baumgartner and this applies to Vdi as well
Dell-KongY Dell Vis Creator Self-service Use Case - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/
virtual-integrated-system/w/wiki/2005.aspx
Dell-KongY Welcome cloudguru
Daniel_Bowers Can a blueprint be deployed to a physical (bare metal) server? Or it is strictly deployed
to hypervisor-holding hosts?
Dell-TomH Yes, deployment to physical hardware is supported. To the end user, all blueprints look similar, regardless of physical or virtual backing.
troyK does creator allow for a multiple machine blueprint. ie.. I want to spin up 25 vm's all at
once.
Dell-KailasJ Please refer to the Powersolutions article "four Key use cases for automated It service
delivery and management": http://content.dell.com/us/en/enterprise/d/business~solutions~power~en/
documents~ps4q11-20110467-jawadekar2.pdf.aspx
cloudguru The same "blueprint"? Or one each for virtual and phyiscal machine
Dell-KailasJ for additional information on use cases as well.
Daniel_Bowers How does Vis Ssc build its list of available hosts that can be put into a provisioning group? Can it discover them, or are they taken from Ad, or manually entered by the admin...?
troyK same blueprint. think hpc lite.
cloudguru thank you, troyk
Dell-KailasJ Daniel: You can enter a vsphere server into Creator. Creator can discover the cluster, and for provisioning groups you can carve out space from the cluster
Daniel_Bowers @kailasj ty
cloudguru is it agent based then, kailasj?
cloudguru ...and is it just vmware and hyper-v? what other hypervisors are supported?
Dell-TomH @troyk - If you are looking to deploy the same blueprint multiple times, Creator supports that today. During the request process, there is the option to select a quantity. Administrators may configure a max, or a limit where additional approvals are neces
Dell-KailasJ Provisioning groups ensure that, while you are using a shared infrastructure across multiple tenants, you still have dedicated compute/storage/memory for each provisioning group that can be assigned to a tenant
Don_Adams I had the impression that actions done in Vis (or was it Aim) weren't always recognized by the Vmware tools and the other way around... is this the case, am I mistaken, or is there tighter integration now?
cloudguru Tomh: Can those machines be tiered?
Dell-KailasJ @cloudguru: vmware, hyperv and Citrix Xenserver are supported
Dell-KailasJ @cloudguru: no agents need to be installed on hosts. Creator will talk directly to vcenter server etc.
Mike_Snider Is Xenserver 6 supported with Vis?
cloudguru Thank you, Kailasj.
Daniel_Bowers @tomh If my application required 2 servers (e.g. one java app server and one 11g database server), could both be put into a single blueprint shown to a Vis Scc user? Or would that take 2 blueprints, one for each server?
cloudguru Is Rhev on the roadmap?
Dell-TomH @cloudguru - If you need a tiered deployment, today you would need to request an individual blueprint for each tier.
cloudguru Thank you, Tom.
Dell-KailasJ @cloudguru: Rhel is not on the roadmap at the moment. We haven't seen the demand from customers, but we are considering it.
Daniel_Bowers Is Ad used for user identity? *must* it be used?
Dell-KailasJ @cloudguru: the tiered deployment or multi-vm blueprint can currently be delivered using a svcs engagement. However its on the roadmap for one of our upcoming releases
cloudguru Have you actually delivered said service to a customer before?
Dell-TomH @mike_snider - Currently support is through Xenserver 5.6 Sp2
Dell-KailasJ @cloudguru: I am not sure if we have delivered this to a customer, but is certainly doable.
Mike_Snider Will Vis work with the free version of Esxi 4?
Dell-TomH @daniel - Use of Ad is advised, however intergration with Ldap is available.
Dell-TomH @mike - Creator speaks to vcenter directly. I don't believe the free version of Esxi has the necessary componants to speak to vcenter.
cloudguru Ldap; As another services engagement? How much do I get Ootb?
Dell-KongY What's the prerequisite for Dell Vis Creator?
cloudguru ..or can I just take the Ad-like components of Ldap and get Vis up and running?
Dell-TomH @kong_y - Creator runs on a Windows 2008 R2 Server. On that server, we need Iis, .Net Framework and Powershell. Creator also requires a Sql database, Ad and an Smtp server.
HyperVKing Is Scvmm required to run Vis with Hyper-v environments?
Dell-KailasJ @hypervking No its not required with current versions
cloudguru @tom, physical or virtual machine?
Daniel_Bowers How are "costs" defined? Is is just a single number per blueprint, set by the administrator? Or is associated with hosts? Does it vary based on actual utilization?
Dell-TomH @cloudguru -- Ad intergration is supported out of the box. Ldap may require some services involvement.
HyperVKing Is there an advantage to using it with Scvmm
Dell-TomH @cloudguru - Physical or Virtual? Do you mean the Creator Server itself? If so, it is supported on either physical or virtual machines.
Dell-TomH @daniel - Costs are configured at a multitude of levels. There is a fixed costs that can be set on the blueprint, however additional variable costs can be configured per Cpu, per Gb Ram and per Gb of storage.
Dell-TomH @daniel - Cost is allocation based, not usage based.
Daniel_Bowers @tomh Ok, thanks
Daniel_Bowers What happens when a lease is "up"? Does the server actually get shut down?
Dell-KailasJ @daniel_bowers: You can set the policies appropriately. You can automatically extend the lease by few days, destroy the Vm or archive it.
Daniel_Bowers @kailasj Ty
Daniel_Bowers To what extent can Creator provision storage as part of a template?
Dell-KailasJ @daniel_bowers: the Vm blueprint will have a provisioning group associated with it. The Vm clone e.g. we will clone the Vm out of this provisioning group.
Dell-KailasJ @daniel_bowers: For the most part we talk to vcenter or hyperv to do the provisioning of the storage. Creator wont necessarily to storage provisioning directly
Daniel_Bowers Licensing is by physical host, right? That is, any device that appears in a provisioning group must have a Vis Creator license..?
Mike_Snider are there many/any people using vis with Xenserver?
Dell-KailasJ @daniel_bowers: the licensing is per socket for server and per desktop for virtual desktops
Dell-KailasJ @mike_snider: There are some people using Xenserver, but vcenter is most common.
Daniel_Bowers Hmm, "desktop"...i've heard such things exist, but never actually seen one.
Daniel_Bowers The end-user interface looks to me a bit like the Aws dashboard. Is that the right comparison?
Dell-KailasJ @daniel_bowers: Creator is unique in the sense it will provide self-service Itaas for servers as well as virtual desktops. It will integrate into Xendesktop Ddc, Provisioning Services, hypervisor, etc.
Dell-KailasJ @daniel_bowers: To orchestrate creation and lifecycle management of virtual Desktops
Daniel_Bowers Are there seperate (individual) plug-ins to interface Vis Ssc with Wim, Kickstart, Bladelogic, etc.? Or is that functionality all "built in"?
Daniel_Bowers @kailasj Thanks. I didn't mean to imply Aws Dashboard had the same functionality, just that the idea looked the same (end user portal, launch images from it, see your consumption).
Dell-KailasJ @daniel_bowers: It is kind of similar to Aws. Once use logs in, based on who he is, he gets presented with a catalog of services that only he should have access to.
Don_Adams Do we have the ability to get a copy to play with this on our own? Do we have some type of study guides or tutorials to help learn the product?
Daniel_Bowers ^^^ What @Don said
Dell-KailasJ @daniel_bowers: Then user can go ahead and provision what he needs. Appropriate governance, chargeback/showback are built in
Dell-TomH @daniel_bowers - No individual plug-ins needed. Wim, Kickstart and Bladelogic intergrations are all built-in.
Dell-KongY My how time flies when the topic is Awesomesauce :-)
Dell-KongY We have a few minutes left and I want to thank our featured guests - Kailas, Tom B and Tom H :)
Daniel_Bowers @kailasj, @tomh thanks for the answers. I'd give you a beer if I could figure out the keystroke sequence.
Tom_Baumgartner Don and Daniel - You'll have to work directly with your Dell field rep to get a copy to "play with" on your own. Also, our Roi Calculator could be a helpful tool. go to www.dell.com/visroicalculator.
Dell-JeffS Thanks everyone! :)
Dell-KailasJ @Don and @daniel:
mylvisaker Thanks for the info!
Dell-TomH Thanks for joining us!
Dell-KongY Thank you everyone for joining our chat today :)
virtualTodd Thanks for the info!
Dell-KailasJ Tom already responded. Thanks all for your questions!
Dell-KongY Next week we'll chat on http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/c/e/12.aspx
Dell-KailasJ please visit dell.com/viscreator for more info as well.
Dell-KongY Equallogic 10gbe + Dell Ome
Dell-LanceB That will be a good one Kong ... thanks for the plug ...
Tom_Baumgartner and check out our new featured video on the right hand side of www.dell.com/viscreator as well
Bruce E6400 laptop : Starts up for about 3 seconds and then dies? New development, it keeps trying to start goes for about 3 seconds, dies and then 3 second later tries to restart again. Has a new Ac adapter cable. Power supply? or motherboard?