Abhay Salunke is a senior software developer in the Remote Access Firmware Group at Dell. He is the technical lead for several DRAC projects and has contributed to various Dell OpenManage software development projects. Abhay has a bachelor’s degree in Electronics Engineering from the University of Mumbai.

DELL-ScottH
Hello !
DELL-AbhayS
Hi Scott
DELL-KentS joined.
DELL-ScottH
hey Kent !
DELL-KentS
Howdy
Dell-RogerF joined.
DELL-ScottH
hey Roger
Dell-RogerF
Afternoon
andy_-_gilman joined.
DELL-ScottH
good afternoon andy
andy_-_gilman
sorry guys but i'm getting the low memory error messages again scrolling across the screen
andy_-_gilman
error cn723
DELL-ScottH
on the main pane ?
andy_-_gilman
yup
andy_-_gilman
cannot start private chat . low memory or no connection
andy_-_gilman
let me try using firefox
andy_-_gilman left.
DELL-ScottH
I just got a hit on google for that .... but our corp firewalls won't let me look at the link :-) ... let me try another machine
andy_gilman joined.
andy_gilman left.
andy_gilman joined.
DELL-ToddM joined.
andy_gilman
could it be the java version?
DELL-ScottH
andy_gilman
still gettiing error cn723
DELL-ScottH
local computer problem, or problem with your corps firewall settings
DELL-ScottH
hopefully you can get it working, we've got you surrounded with great Dell talent :-)
andy_gilman left.
andy_gilman joined.
DELL-ScottH
Abhay, we usually wait for a few customers to join before we get started. If not, I can still introduce you and you can talk about any work you are currently doing, or the papers that are about to come out .... then anyone viewing the chat transcript will have links and information to review
andy_gilman left.
DELL-ScottH
sound like a plan ? .. we can wait about 3 more mins then kick that plan into action
DELL-AbhayS
yeah no problem
andy_gilman joined.
andy_gilman left.
Brian_Doty joined.
DELL-ScottH
hi brian
Brian_Doty
Hello
DELL-ScottH
alright lets kick it off ...
DELL-ScottH
Thanks everyone for joining in our weekly chat session
DELL-ScottH
Today we have Abhay Salunke, a senior developer with Dell in the Drac group.
DELL-ScottH
Abhay, tell us a little about what you are working on, then we'll see if there are any specific questions for you
DELL-AbhayS
Sure
DELL-AbhayS
I have been working with Dell for 7 years or so my focus is mainly on Systems Management software developement.
DELL-AbhayS
Currently I am working on the Drac project which stands for Dell remote Acess Controller
DELL-AbhayS
We develope firmware for Drac , Drac goes with many enterprise servers and is used for remotely managing Servers
DELL-AbhayS
Let me know if you have any specific questions around Drac or if you woudl like to know more about this product
DELL-ScottH
We in the techcenter certainly appreciate your work on the Drac, we use it everyday to get to our lab machines, and I use it for all the demos we produce out of the labs ....
DELL-ScottH
I saw an upcoming article you co-authored about a new smart card logon feature, can you go into detail on that ?
DELL-AbhayS
Sure,
DELL-AbhayS
Drac as you know provides Oob inteface via web Gui for users to login in to it to do server maintainance tasks
DELL-AbhayS
The currently supported authentication mechanism uses username and password.
DELL-AbhayS
In the Drac5 1.30 release we have introduced the Two Factor Authentication feature using the smart card.
DELL-AbhayS
Drac users can now use smart cards to login to Drac.
DELL-AbhayS
The two factors in smart card are smart card itself and the pin# that is not shared by the user.
DELL-AbhayS
Drac provides a configuration which lets users enforce Tfa authentication. And in this case when the configuration is set the users are forced to use smart card to login to Drac
DELL-ScottH
so current customers with Drac5 just need the 1.30 firmware release to enable this feature ? ... and of course a smart card
DELL-AbhayS
Yeah,
DELL-AbhayS
The smart card users need to have the support for smart card on their client systems they use to access Drac
DELL-AbhayS
Also in this release only local Drac users are supported for smart card.
DELL-AbhayS
The smart card support for Active directory Drac users will be avilable in the next upcoming Drac release
DELL-ScottH
great, what other new features are in the 1.30 release ?
DELL-AbhayS
We have enhanced security by adding features like local user disable.
DELL-AbhayS
Disable virtual Vkvm durig Post and so on...
DELL-AbhayS
Drac5 1.30 is focused on security
DELL-AbhayS
Any further questions?
DELL-ScottH
Is 1.30 available for download today ? If not, what time frame ?
Brian_Doty
One additional note on the 1.30 release. It is Windows 2008 ready, supports a new macro for crash dumps, removes Ssl 2.0, and allows users to specify Ldap or Global Catalog servers to handle user authentication.
Brian_Doty
Yes, version 1.32 is available for download.
DELL-ScottH
great, just point your browser to http://support.dell.com to get the download
DELL-ScottH
Abhay, I appreciate you spending the time with us today ....
DELL-ScottH
Abhay's articles on the Drac are in the February online edition of Powersolutions magazine
DELL-AbhayS
Glad to be of any help to you all
DELL-ScottH
go to http://www.dell.com/powersolutions and click on the "online extras" link on the left
DELL-ToddM
Does the 1.30 release apply to the Drac in the 10G blades as well?
DELL-ScottH
great questions, idrac support ?
DELL-AbhayS
No Drac5 1.30 is only for 10G monolithics, I believe 10G baldeds will support the Drac5 Tfa fearure in next release.
DELL-ScottH
Thanks again to everyone for joining, next week will be our virtualization topic
DELL-ScottH
Link to Powersolutions Article - Smart Card logon with Drac5 -- http://dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps1q08-20080145-bose.pdf
DELL-ScottH
Link to Powersolutions article - Disabling Local Configuration and Remote Virtual Kvm in the Drac 5 -- http://dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps1q08-20080144-bose.pdf