cannot start chat low memory

andyforo
is that my end or the server

andyforo
?

DELL-ToddM
Are you still getting them?

DELL-ScottH
in the browser java window ? server is setup for 200 concurrent connections , we've had more than this on before

andyforo
they're scrolling through the chat window

andyforo
error cn723 cannot s

andyforo
low memory or no connection

DELL-ScottH
have you dis and re connected ?

andyforo
let me try that

gsherman03 joined.

DELL-ScottH
hi gsherman, how are you ?

andyforo left.

gsherman03
good how are you

andyforo joined.

DELL-ScottH
great, was waiting for a few customers to get started .. would that be you ? What companyt are you with ?

gsherman03
what is the scope that we can discuss here we have a few Powerconnect and open manage questions

andyforo left.

gsherman03
Rvm Inc

DELL-RogerF joined.

DELL-ScottH
scope is on Openmanage for this session, but we can try to tackle whatever you bring up ..... let me give a few minutes of intro, then we can kick your questions off

gsherman03
great

DELL-ScottH
Thanks to all for joining, hopefully andy will be able to get back in .... This is the kickoff of our weekly chat sessions, we'll be here every Tuesday at 3PM with different topics ... be sure to check the main page for a list of upcoming topics

DELL-ScottH
The transcripts are available for viewing, so be nice ! .... the chat box is also open 24/7 so feel free to drop in anytime to see who is hanging out.

DELL-ScottH
maybe Dell Developers, engineering, you never know.

DELL-ScottH
Today is all about Dell Openmanage .... Version 5.3.1 was just released in conjunction with out new M1000e Blades ... be sure to check out the main Openmanage page for details --> http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/openmanage+systems+management

DELL-ScottH
That page will cover the basics, as well and some intro and advanced demos on features of the products.

DELL-ScottH
I've also started testing some of the power monitoring features for the blades .. check that out here --> http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/blade+power+monitoring+with+ita

DELL-ScottH
so with that, some intros of the people here ....

DELL-ScottH
toddm, rogerf, and myself are with the Dell Enterprise Technology Center, Mba is will Dell Engineering with a focus on Exchange, and Kent is an Se in the field , is that correct Kent ? .... any questions to start us off on a path of discussion ?

Dell-KentS
I am the Enterprise Technologist for Server Management for Dell Canada

DELL-ScottH
cool, sorry for the Se, it's the old job in me comig out

gsherman03
I have a few I noticed with the new blade centers that power management is shown specifically power consumption is this available to other servers e.g. 1950, 2800, etc

DELL-ScottH
depends, some of the attributes are exposed, some are not ... you definetly want to install the latest Omsa agent, the attributes that are not available will be grayed out as a selection ....look at the 3rd pictures in that 2nd link I just posted

DELL-ScottH
my testing just started with the blades, but the plan is to do some on the 2950 and our older boxes to see what is exposed. Keep an eye on the wiki, or my blog to see finding

DELL-ScottH

gsherman03
Ah ok we will update for sure another though is what is the cost from a network and or processor overhead to collect this information

Dell-KentS
Most of the information requires intrumented Power Supplies trhat are available in the latest 9th Generation Servers as well as all of the 10th generation servers

DELL-ScottH
minimal overhead, but the default is to collect info every 2 minutes, you might want to decrease that sample rate if you are concerned

bybee joined.

DELL-ScottH
hello bybee

bybee
Hello

gsherman03
how does one decide if it is needed to deploy the open manage network assistant we currently run the It assistant and we have categorized each Vlan stoping at the default gateway so we do not hit the core switches over and over again

gsherman03
seems this was an issue

DELL-ScottH
Kent, you know much about networking management ? ... .not an area I have dived into yet

gsherman03
my understanding was it was costly (bandwidth wise) and only needed if the switches are managed and the count exceeds 15+

DELL-ScottH
Send me an email with the details of the question, and I can forward to some people that can help .. scott_hanson@dell.com .... or wait, maybe Kent knows, I think he's typing

Dell-KentS
I haven't looked at this that deply, but best practices dictate that you want to minimize unnecessary trafiic across the core.

DELL-ScottH
bybee, fyi, click on "actions", then "recent Room history" to catch up

DELL-MBA left.

Dell-MBA joined.

bybee
thnx

gsherman03
of course I mean basicall we dicated a range covering the whole vlan that would include its default gateway therefore hitting back to the core so we limited this

gsherman03
seemed to help with a memory issue on the 6248's however we still have a memory leak of some sort as a result of open manage

gsherman03
have a case open anyone hear of this

shelley joined.

DELL-ScottH
Hi Shelley

DELL-ScottH
Nothing I know of, that doesn't mean much, support case is the right path to drive to resolution, also a posting on the Dell Community forums might help as well.

gsherman03
yeah ok lets move on then and I hope I am not dominating here if others have questions go ahead by all means

DELL-ScottH
not a problem, we are here you you. Bybee, what company are you with and any threads of discussion around systems management youd like to bring up ?

DELL-ScottH
shelley, fyi, click on "actions", then "recent Room history" to catch up on the chat

gsherman03
Next item I feel which would be of use is a Best practices for monitoring in open manage for example if i want to monitor and exchange server, sql server are there specifics I should target in open manage

bybee
I'm with Blackrock, and have recently deployed It Assistant and am in the process of updating our base of production Dell servers to current Omsa versions

bybee
just here to lurk and gleam some info, seems to be an interesting platform to gain some info outside the std documentation etc

DELL-ScottH
That's a good point that I don't think has been brought up before, would be a good candidate for a wiki articel .... Om is focused on the hardware, but there are some things that could be monitored in the performance section for specfic enteprise apps, we'll have to visit this.

DELL-ScottH
@bybee, yeap we encourage lurking !

bybee
currently trying to sort how best to utilize Om tools in combination with Sms and Mom for hdware update baselining, deployment, and monitoring

DELL-ScottH
for sql, exchange, etc ... probably want to be using Mom, sorry mean Scom, the new stuff to monitor the standard things in those apps

DELL-ScottH
Have you seen the intergration pack for Scom ?

bybee
haven't had much luck w/ software deployment (omsa) via Ita

DELL-ScottH
doesn't deploy ?

bybee
yes, I've installed, but haven't worked with it in depth yet at this point

bybee
trying to get up to speed on features of the various product and how best to combine their strengths

bybee
yes, deployment erros

bybee
created deployment task/pkg but tend to get errors/failures

bybee
have started leaning towards Sms deployment of Omsa

DELL-ScottH
the most common deployment errors are usually seen when specifying crendentials for autentication, make sure you use "doman/id" and not just id

bybee
interested in getting the online reppository dialed in in Ita

shelley left.

bybee
domain/id, goi it

bybee
<got it>

DELL-ScottH
yes that part is very useful, it won't deploy Omsa , but will do firmware/bios/ driver updates ... I've got a demo on that

bybee
firmware/bios/driver updts is primary goal

bybee
i've viewed the demo, I believe

DELL-ScottH

DELL-ScottH
anything else on anyones minds ? .. not a bad start for our first chat, be sure to get the word out to all your compadres

bybee
I'd like to see a demo/wiki on how to create a baseline report in Ita showing hdwr rev/ver in comparison to online repository levels

DELL-ScottH
I do that in the one of the demos, let me remember which one

bybee
if that makes sense... I'm still pretty *green* to the whole Om sweet

DELL-ScottH
yeah, the comparison report is a little buried

gsherman03
Agreed on the ussage of open manage for application specific what about the hardware attributes most recommended

gsherman03
there are so many things to trap in the new dell servers its overwellming

DELL-ScottH
Todd had some ideas, he's about to chime back in ... looks like Kent too

gsherman03
ok

bybee
how do the Suu and Ita "repository" overlap in feature set... similar in effect, no?

Dell-KentS
Bybee, If you select a specific bundle from the online reposiory listing, there will be a tab for Compliance which will allow you to compare against the systems in your environment

Dell-KentS
Ita leverages the Suu repository.

DELL-ToddM
There is usually a different level or tiering for a server depending on what it is doing

DELL-ScottH
@bybee, look at my first demo in the Openmanage Demos @4:00 into the demo it shows the Complinace report

DELL-ToddM
So an Exchange server is usually more important that a file-server or backup server

DELL-ToddM
So if you group or tier systems based on function, you can then setup response actions based on how important they are

DELL-ToddM
So when your Exchange Server has a problem - You get a text msg to your phone

DELL-ToddM
When your Test and Dev system has a hiccup - you get an email

DELL-ToddM
You may also want to monitor different sets of things based on the server function / importance

gsherman03
right but more specifcally what items are recommended not just methods of updating staff

gsherman03
Thanks by the way Todd

DELL-ScottH
yeah, I think we need to explore that and write it up in the wiki, is a good idea for others to post what they might have done as well ... we will start a topic on that "what to monitor for different Enterpise Apps" .. sound good ? thanks for the idea

gsherman03
yup thanks

bybee
does sound interested, and would be helpful

DELL-ScottH
bybee, like your profile on the wiki :-)

bybee
haven't yet gotten into monitoring/notification via Ita

bybee
we use Mom/scom for this

bybee
among others

bybee
:)

DELL-ToddM
With the Openmanage pack for Mom/scom you can use Mom to alert on Openmange events

bybee
yes

bybee
first have to have Omsa out to the fleet, on latests vers hopefully

gsherman03
mom/scom free these days?

DELL-ScottH
no

DELL-ToddM
Not free

bybee
alerts on storage controller fmwr/driver ver would be cool, if an outdated box or incorrect build ended up out in production?

gsherman03
agreed

bybee
not free (nor cheap)

gsherman03
the 2900 had some showstoppers

gsherman03
so that is something we can monitor against dells distributed releases

gsherman03
another question in the demo for Ita it shows the ability to check for updates from dell via ftp or something along those lines

gsherman03
I am bringing it up now but I do not have the same functionality as shown in the demo

Dell-KentS
This feature is available in Ita 8.1

DELL-ScottH
let me bring mine up too

DELL-ScottH
what verison is yours

bybee
it took me *quite a while* to sort that the online repository was in a newer release

DELL-ScottH
what functionality are you missing ?

bybee
I even called support after watching scott's demo here, and they had No Clue what ver would include that type of function

gsherman03
Manage/software updates

DELL-ScottH
doooh, guess I should show versions and prereqs up front

gsherman03
It Assistant rep...

DELL-ScottH
k, I'm on that screen

gsherman03
I get add but only bin./exe

gsherman03
no website

gsherman03
hence my repository comparison is less then interesting

bybee
the online repository only shows after upg to 8.1.0

DELL-ScottH
you don't have the "online Repository" under the "IT Asst Rep" ??

DELL-ScottH
what does your "about" button say, in the top right ?

Dell-KentS
Under Actions do you have "configure Online Synchronization"?

gsherman03
checking version here any

gsherman03
ouch 8.0.0

gsherman03
not in the ballback here I will update

DELL-ScottH
ohhh a short between the keyboard and the chair :-)

gsherman03
pebkac

DELL-ScottH
yup, I had several of those yesterday !

bybee
i've found it challenging to keep up to speed/date on the versioning of all the Om components

gsherman03
ok so we have eliminated that issue potentially any performance improvement seems to be a bit slow to load the web interface

bybee
and the filename/distribution points arent always intuitive

bybee
fwiw

gsherman03
it's sitting in a Vm but the server is pretty fast

DELL-ScottH
yes, there were several recently, not a good time to be green field bybee

bybee
so with regard to "complianc" reporting in the online rep

bybee
i'm finally seeing how this may work

DELL-ScottH
8.1.1 seems a little faster, buts it's java based for what that's worth, when I increased my java heap size it seemed to be a little faster in the browser

gsherman03
Also another item and I assume this isnt a dell thing but we monitor our Hp printers in Om Ita when they require a maintenance kit, or at least I think this is why it happend open mange marks them as a problem any way to acknowledge so that I can glace at a group and see that it is clean

gsherman03
hmmm

bybee
is there a way to create a compliance repport for multiple Pe models and collections?

bybee
or is per server type

bybee
only

gsherman03
does that need to be handled on the server too

gsherman03
I dont see the heap size is that in Open manage or in the control panel/ Java settings

DELL-ScottH
compliance can be run against the whole server liine, or filtered, just click the "filter" button after running the report

DELL-ScottH
control panel/java

Dell-KentS
Bybee - the compliance is done on an "update" basis whteher this is a single update or a bundle.

bybee
can compliance reporting be done, selecting multiple bundles?

DELL-ScottH
Todd and I have to run to a meeting .... thanks to all for joining, we have sent several compliments in the Wiki to those in attendance. Your pellet, as it may be :-)

bybee
i.e. I want an overall report of hdwr compliance for all server models currently monitored/managed in Itsa

bybee
what I'm understanding now, is that I can do this individually per server/collection "update"

bybee
thnx guys

gsherman03
thanks when do we cover powerconnect switches?

DELL-ScottH
thank you, stay on as long as necessary, Kent can you hang around and help out ?

DELL-ToddM
Gotta Go - Thanks to all. We can keep these threads going via discussion threads (or comments) on the wiki Or we can have another web chat for Openmanage soon

bybee
sounds good, ttfn

DELL-RogerF left.

Dell-KentS
You can run a complete report for all systems and their respective versions but not a compariosn against the repository since there can be multiple veriosn in the repo

DELL-ScottH
gsherman, add that as a thread on the Chat page, and we'll set it up for a chat in the next few

DELL-ToddM left.

gsherman03
will do

Dell-KentS
If I understand correctly, you are looking for a report that compares the environment against the "latest: bundle in the repository

bybee
Ok Kent, i'll work some more to tune some reports and shout if any ?'s or feature req are needed

bybee
Yes!

Dell-KentS
I'll take that back to dev.

bybee
ok

bybee
take it easy, thnx again

gsherman03
thanks

Dell-KentS
You're welcome.