Skip to main content
  • Place orders quickly and easily
  • View orders and track your shipping status
  • Enjoy members-only rewards and discounts
  • Create and access a list of your products
  • Manage your Dell EMC sites, products, and product-level contacts using Company Administration.

Article Number: 000146495

How to configure an Oracle VM Network

Summary: Our charter is to deliver solutions that simplify IT by providing database solutions, custom development, dynamic datacenters, flexible computing.

Article Content

Symptoms

Title:  How do I Configure an Oracle VM Network?

Applies to:

Oracle VM 3.1.1

Author:

Ramamohan Reddy K

Problem:

How do I Configure an Oracle VM Network?

Solution:

When configuring a network via the Oracle VM Manager, one must map available network ports to the logical network. Each logical network requires a name or alias and performs at least one network function. Oracle VM has the following network functions:
  • Server Management
  • Cluster Heartbeat
  • Live Migrate
  • Storage
  • Virtual Machine 
After discovering the first Oracle VM Server within the Oracle VM Manager, one network is created automatically with the role of Server Management. The default name provided comes from the subnet in which the Oracle VM Server is connected as seen below.

SLN310498_en_US__1i_VM_servers_D_V1 
Figure 1: Oracle VM Network

Each additional Oracle VM Server discovered from the Oracle VM Manager either adds an entry into the
existing Server Management network or creates a new Server Management network if the server is connected to a subnet where no Oracle VM Server was previously discovered. 

Creating Oracle VM Networks

The steps listed in the Creating Virtual Machine Networks describe how to create a network and assign a
"Virtual Machine" role to it. Similarly, it is recommended to create different networks for the different network functions.

SLN310498_en_US__2icon NOTE: It is recommended to have separate network port(s) for each function.

SLN310498_en_US__2icon NOTE: Additional network is required when using iSCSI storage.

Creating Storage Network

After logging into the Oracle VM Manager console, click the Networking tab and Networks sub tab and add network by clicking "+" sign icon.

SLN310498_en_US__4i_VM_server1_D_V1
Figure 2:  Oracle VM Manager console

In the Create Network Wizard, select Create network with bond/ports only and click Next.

SLN310498_en_US__5i_VM_server2_D_V1
Figure 3: Create Network

In the Create Network step of the wizard, enter name for the network and select the Storage in the Network Channels and click Next.

SLN310498_en_US__6i_VM_server3_D_V1
Figure 4: Create Network step of the wizard

In the Select Servers step of the wizard, move the Oracle VM Servers to be included in the new network to the Selected Servers and click Next.

SLN310498_en_US__7i_VM_server4_D_V1
Figure 5: Select Servers step of the wizard

In the Select Ports step of the wizard, select Ethernet port from each Oracle VM Server and move them to the Select Ports field and click Next.

SLN310498_en_US__8i_VM_server5_D_V1
Figure 6: Select Ports step of the wizard

In the Configure IP Addresses step of the wizard, enter the IP addresses for storage networking and click Finish to create storage network.

SLN310498_en_US__9i_VM_server6_D_V1
Figure 7: Configure IP Addresses

SLN310498_en_US__2icon NOTE: If you are using Compellent iSCSI create two storage networks for each fault domain and give the IP addresses configured in the previous step within the range of the fault domain’s IP address subnet.
Created Storage Networks will be displayed under the Networking tab.

SLN310498_en_US__11i_VM_server8_D_V1
Figure 8: Created Storage Networks

Article Properties

Last Published Date

21 Feb 2021

Version

Article Type

Solution