Applies To:

Dell PowerVault MD32x0 Series Array

Author:

Dell High Availability Team

Reference:

Dell High Availability Team Documentation

Problem:

How do I cable my PowerVault MD32x0 Storage Array?

Solution:

Each cluster node attaches to the storage system using two Dell 6.0-Gbps SAS HBAs and two SAS cables. In this configuration, there are redundant storage paths from the cluster node to the storage system. If a component fails in the storage path such as the HBA, the cable, or the storage controller, the multi-path software automatically reroutes the I/O requests to the alternate path so that the storage array continues to operate without interruption.

To cable the cluster:

1. Connect cluster node 1 to the storage system.

1. Install a SAS cable from the cluster node 1 HBA 1 port 0 to the RAID controller module 0 port In-0.

1. Install a SAS cable from the cluster node 1 HBA 2 port 0 to the RAID controller module 1 port In-0.

2. Connect cluster node 2 to the storage system.

1. Install a SAS cable from the cluster node 2 HBA 1 port 0 to the RAID controller module 0 port In-1.

1. Install a SAS cable from the cluster node 2 HBA 2 port 0 to the RAID controller module 1 port In-1.

3. If applicable, connect node 3 to the storage system. Node 3 can be either cluster node 3 of the only cluster in the configuration, cluster node 1 of the second cluster, or a standalone server.

1. Install a SAS cable from the node 3 HBA 1 port 0 to the RAID controller module 0 port In-2.

1. Install a SAS cable from the node 3 HBA 2 port 0 to the RAID controller module 1 port In-2.

4. If applicable, connect node 4 to the storage system. Node 4 can be either cluster node 4 of the only cluster in the configuration, cluster node 2 of the second cluster, or a standalone server.

1. Install a SAS cable from the node 4 HBA 1 port 0 to the RAID controller module 0 port In-3.

1. Install a SAS cable from the node 4 HBA 2 port 0 to the RAID controller module 1 port In-3.

Figure 1 Cluster Configuration With Dual Dell 6.0-Gbps SAS HBAs