Applies To:

Storage Platform(s) – Dell Compellent Series 40 storage systems with Storage Center 5.4 and greater

Author:

Ramamohan Reddy

Problem:

How do I zone my Compellent array for Oracle RAC?

Solution:

Prior to configuring host access to our Compellent volumes, you must first create volumes. For more information on creating volumes please follow the steps documented under the wiki article “How do I create volumes on my Compellent array?”.

Then zone the Compellent array as documented under the wiki article “How do I Zone my Compellent array?”Make sure that each server path has its own zone. Each zone should include all Compellent front-end ports plus a server port.

Once the process of zoning is completed, Storage Center automatically recognizes WWNs of Server HBAs within the network to which it is connected.   The next step is to create Servers and a Server Cluster using the detected WWNs of Server HBAs.

Creating Servers and a Server Cluster:

1. In the Compellent Storage Center GUI, right click on Servers and select Create Server.
  2. This opens Create Server window. The window lists the WWNs of the Host HBAs
    recognized by the Storage Center. Select the WWNs of a particular server.

3. Then enter the name of the Server in the Create Server window and select Operating System of the server from the drop-down menu and click Continue.

4.   This opens the window which displays name and attributes of the Server; confirm the same and create Server by clicking Create Now.

5. Once the Server created you will be displayed Next Action window. Click Close
  6. Repeat steps from 1 to 5 for all the servers.
  7. To create a Server Cluster, in the Compellent Storage Center GUI, right click on Servers and select Create Server Cluster.
  8. This opens Create Server Cluster window. Then, click on Add Existing Server to add a Server to a Server Cluster.

NOTE You can create new Server at this point by clicking the Create New Server option and following the above steps from 1 to 5

9.   In the Next window select a Server which we created earlier to add to the Server Cluster and click Continue
  10. Repeat steps 7 and 8 to add a second Server to the Server Cluster.
  11. Once all Servers have been added to this Server Cluster, click Continue in the Create Server Cluster window.

12. Enter the name of the Server Cluster and click Continue.

13. This opens a window which displays name and attributes of the Server Cluster: confirm the same and create the Server Cluster by clicking Create Now.
  14. Then Next Action window appears. From this window, map volumes to Server or click Close.

You can either map Volumes to the Server from step 14 or by following below steps.

Mapping Volumes to Server Cluster

Note: You can map each volume you created either individually to the Server Cluster or you can map them as a folder. For this option, make sure that all your Volumes are in one Volume Folder.

For more details crating Volumes and Volume Folder refer to the steps documented in the Chapter 4 “Volumes” of the Dell Compellent Storage Center 5.4 System Manager User Guide.

1. In the Compellent Storage Center GUI, right click on Volume Folder and select Map Volumes to Server.

2. In the Map Volumes to Server window, select the Server Cluster which you wanted to be mapped and click Continue.

3. Next window displays all volumes which you are going to map to the Server Cluster; confirm the same and click Map Volumes Now.

Once the mapping volumes to Servers are completed in Storage Center GUI, we can discover volumes on the host side by rebooting host servers.

Verify that the volumes are visible in the hosts by cat/proc/partitions

Then configure multipath as documented under wiki article “How do I configure device–mapper–multipath?