How to cable an MD3200i or MD3220i 1GbE iSCSI Array - Oracle Solutions - Enterprise Solutions - Dell Community

How to cable an MD3200i or MD3220i 1GbE iSCSI Array

Enterprise Solutions

Enterprise Solutions
Our charter is to deliver solutions that simplify IT by providing database solutions, custom development, dynamic datacenters, flexible computing, high availability, high performance computing, and virtualization solutions.

Oracle Solutions

How to cable an MD3200i or MD3220i 1GbE iSCSI Array

Oracle Solutions

Applies to:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Platform - Applies to PowerVault arrays - MD3200i, MD3220i

Problem:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I cable my PowerVault MD3200i or MD3220i storage array?

Additional Information:

For more information on PowerVault MD3200i or MD3220i please see the PowerVault manual located at: 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Solution:

In this article we will discuss how to cable one PowerVault array to a cluster environment. The examples below will illustrate an iSCSI SAN-attached to an Oracle RAC cluster. The Oracle database solutions team per best practice always uses redundant path configurations to ensure high availability.

When cabling the PowerVault iSCSI storage array, there are two options:

• Direct attached (no Ethernet switches used)
  • Network attached SAN configurations (Ethernet switches are used)

When configuring your Oracle cluster with a Direct Attached PowerVault MD3200i or MD3220i, due to using a redundant path configuration, only four nodes in a cluster are supported. Figure 1 shows how to cable a four node cluster direct attached with one MD3200i or MD3220i.

Figure 1. Cabling iSCSI Direct-Attached Clusters

To configure your nodes in a direct-attached configuration, as seen in Figure 1, follow the steps below:

1. Connect one CAT 5e/6 cable from a port (iSCSI HBA or NIC) of node 1 to the In-0 port of RAID controller 0 in the PowerVault MD32xxi storage enclosure.
  2. Connect one CAT 5e/6 cable from the other port (iSCSI HBA or NIC) of node 1 to the In-0 port of RAID controller 1 in the PowerVault MD32xxi storage enclosure.
  3. Connect one CAT 5e/6 cable from a port (iSCSI HBA or NIC) of node 2 to the In-1 port of RAID controller 0 in the PowerVault MD32xxi storage enclosure.
  4. Connect one CAT 5e/6 cable from the other port (iSCSI HBA or NIC) of node 2 to the In-1 port of RAID controller 1 in the PowerVault MD32xxi storage enclosure.
  5. Repeat step 1 to step 4 for node 3 and node 4 to connect to In-2 and In-3 of RAID controller 0 and RAID controller 1.
  6. If applicable, connect two SAS cables from the two PowerVault MD32xxi storage enclosures Out ports to the two In ports of the first PowerVault MD12xx expansion enclosure. (See Figure 2)

Figure 2 Cabling your Expansion Enclosure

Figure 3 shows how to cable a cluster network attached with one MD3200i or MD3220i. A cluster that is network attached supports up to 32 hosts within a clustered environment.

Figure 3 Cabling iSCSI Switched Clusters

To configure your nodes in a switched configuration, see Figure 3.

1. Connect one CAT 5e/6 cable from a port (iSCSI HBA or NIC) of node 1 to the port of network switch 1.
  2. Connect one CAT 5e/6 cable from a port (iSCSI HBA or NIC) of node 1 to the port of network switch 2.
  3. Connect one CAT 5e/6 cable from a port (iSCSI HBA or NIC) of node 2 to the port of network switch 1.
  4. Connect one CAT 5e/6 cable from a port (iSCSI HBA or NIC) of node 2 to the port of network switch 2.
  5. Connect two CAT 5e/6 cables from switch 1 to the In-0 port of RAID controller 0 in the PowerVault MD32xxi storage enclosure.
  6. Connect two CAT 5e/6 cables from two other ports of switch 1 to the RAID controller 1 in the PowerVault MD32xxi storage enclosure.
  7. Connect two CAT 5e/6 cables from a port of switch 2 to the RAID controller 0 in the PowerVault MD32xxi storage enclosure.
  8. Connect two CAT 5e/6 cables from two other ports of switch 2 to the RAID controller 1 in the PowerVault MD32xxi storage enclosure.
  9. If applicable, connect two SAS cables from the two PowerVault MD32xxi storage enclosures Out ports to the two In ports of the first PowerVault MD12xx expansion enclosure. (See Figure 2)
Comments
  • Hi,

it is really well issue, could you help me cable Poweredge m1000e with 2x Powervault 3500 and md3220i via 2x Powerconnect 6348

• Hi

All pictures link are broken.